Hosting "Headbangers Ball" and playing the biggest metal tour of the summer doesn't seem to be enough demolition for Hatebreed, who have scheduled a whopping 20 shows on off-days from Ozzfest, including four non-Ozzfest festivals.
Seven of the shows will be with Slayer, who years ago helped Hatebreed to get off the ground. Some will also feature Slipknot, and six performances will be with Otep and Throwdown. Also, Hatebreed will play one gig with Judas Priest, one with Shadows Fall and two solo concerts.
As for the festival gigs, the first will be the Aggressive Music Festival on July 17 and 18 in Glens Falls, New York. The event was organized by Jasta and will also feature Slayer, Slipknot, God Forbid, Superjoint Ritual, Agnostic Front, Sick of it All, Deicide, Soulfly, Killswitch Engage and many other underground acts. On July 28, Hatebreed will play Portland, Oregon, radio station KUFO-FM's Mayhem at the Meadows, which also features Slayer, Slipknot, Drowning Pool, God Forbid, Soil and Superjoint Ritual.
The Pigstock festival on August 13 in Davenport, Iowa, will be the most indie metal gig Jasta and his crew will play for a while. The bill features Dimmu Borgir, Shadows Fall, Superjoint Ritual, Otep, Fear Factory, God Forbid, Bleeding Through, Lacuna Coil, Lamb of God, Mastodon and others. Hatebreed will also play the FM99 Lunatic Luau on August 29 in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Slipknot, Drowning Pool, Saliva, Kittie, Superjoint Ritual, Monster Magnet, Crossfade and Soil will also perform.
For Hatebreed, there's no stopping the rocking, although all that scorching metal seems to be taking its toll on their teeth. The band canceled the last four days of its European tour last month so Jasta and guitarist Sean Martin could get some work done on their mouths.
"I had to get dental surgery. So did Sean," Jasta wrote on the band's Web site. "We did over 300 shows last year. This year alone, it's getting up there. We don't exactly have time to see dental specialists on the road, ya know?"
Jasta added that even if he were able to see a dentist on tour, it would have been difficult for him to perform after a procedure. "It's really painful to scream for an hour-and-a-half after you've had teeth pulled," he wrote. "I did [it] last year, and it sucked, but for the sake of the fans, I did it."
Since Hatebreed rarely cancel shows, Jasta felt the need to truly justify his decision, so he described in painstaking detail the extent of his dental problems. "I had a wisdom tooth coming, in but it was growing backwards (towards my brain). It was also causing me to bite my cheek severely when I would sing, thus causing me bleeding and pain all day long and limiting my eating. So since my tooth was growing in the wrong direction, I had to get a specialist to get it out without tearing my sinus. I had it done yesterday and now we should be fine to start Ozzfest this Saturday. Sean had his stuff done yesterday as well."
Ozzfest kicks off Saturday in Hartford, Connecticut (see "Judas Priest, Slayer, Slipknot To Join Ozzy On Ozzfest").
Hatebreed's non-Ozzfest dates, according to their label:
- 7/11 - Augusta, ME @ Augusta Civic Center (with Slipknot, Slayer)
- 7/17 - Glens Falls, NY @ Aggressive Music Festival at Glens Falls Civic Center
- 7/19 - Huntington, WV @ Banana Joe's (with Throwdown, God Forbid, Otep)
- 7/21 - Johnson City, TN @ Rafters (with Throwdown, Otep)
- 7/26 - Nampa, ID @ Idaho Center Amphitheater (with Judas Priest, Slayer)
- 7/28 - Portland, OR @ KUFO-FM's Mayhem at the Meadows
- 8/2 - Tucson, AZ @ The Rock (with Slayer)
- 8/4 - El Paso, TX @ Club Xcape (with Shadows Fall)
- 8/6 - Lubbock, TX @ West Texas Canyon Amphitheater (with Slipknot, Slayer)
- 8/8 - Shreveport, LA @ 516 Soundstage
- 8/9 - Little Rock, AR @ Riverfest Amphitheatre (with Slipknot, Slayer)
- 8/11 - Omaha, NE @ The Ranch Bowl (with Otep, Throwdown)
- 8/13 - Davenport, IA @ Pigstock at Quad City Live
- 8/18 - Ottawa, ON @ Coral Centre (with Slipknot, Slayer)
- 8/20 - Traverse City, MI @ Streeter's (with Throwdown, Otep)
- 8/25 - State College, PA @ Crowbar (with Throwdown, Otep, God Forbid)
- 8/27 - Darien Center, NY @ Darien Lake Performing Arts Center (with Slipknot, Slayer)
- 8/29 - Virginia Beach, VA @ WNOR-FM Lunatic Luau at Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheater
- 8/30 - Spartanburg, SC @ Ground Zero (with Throwdown, Otep, God Forbid)
- 9/1 - Myrtle Beach, SC @ House Of Blues