Ch-check out this week's batch of new releases: a little bit of country, pop, rap — and a lot of rock and roll.
In July of 1998, a Brooklyn-bred rap trio said Hello Nasty to its fans after a four-year absence, and then bid them goodbye for the next six years. Bringing the music back To the 5 Boroughs, the Beastie Boys make their long-awaited return this week, fueled by the single "Ch-Check It Out."
Phish phans get some music to mourn to this week, as the band releases its final studio album, Undermind. Sixteen years after Phish put out their debut album, the kings of modern jam bands are releasing their last album and completing their last tour, then calling it a day.
For fans of pint-sized pop star Christina Milian, It's About Time she released her sophomore album, because it's been three years since her first.
What happened in a Las Vegas garage beginning in late 2002 didn't stay there. Sin City indie-rock outfit the Killers release their debut album, Hot Fuss, this week, while legendary British band the Fall release The Real New Fall LP, Formerly Known as Country on the Click.
Patti Scialfa, the first lady of New Jersey rock and roll and an E Street Band member, is branching out this week as she releases 23rd Street Lullaby.
Former "American Idol" contestant Josh Gracin, whose pop-country style put him at fourth place in the competition, releases his debut self-titled album. Also out this week are albums from Seether (Disclaimer) and Pink Grease (This Is for Real), and finally, weighing in with a live album is Cali-born mixmaster DJ Shadow, with Live! In Tune & on Time.
Out Tuesday, June 15:
- Dave Alvin - Ashgrove (Yep Roc)
- The Beastie Boys - To the 5 Boroughs (Grand Royal/Capitol)
Read:[article id="1486304"]"Beastie Boys Album Preview: Political Bleats And Old-School Beats"[/article]
Buy Now: To the 5 Boroughs (Grand Royal/Capitol)
- Bond - Classified (Decca)
- Lori Carson - The Finest Thing (Meta)
- Communiqué - Poison Arrows (Lookout!)
- Chris Cook - Small Town Gone (Gaff Music)
- Larry Coryell Trio - Tricycles (Favored Nations)
- Celine Dion - A New Day ... Live in Las Vegas (Epic)
- DJ Shadow - Live! In Tune & on Time (Geffen)
- Emerson Drive - What If? (DreamWorks Nashville)
- The Fall - The Real New Fall LP, Formerly Known as Country on the Click (Narnack)
- Fleetwood Mac - Live in Boston (Reprise)
- Eddie Gale - Afro-Fire (Black Beauty)
- Josh Gracin - Josh Gracin (Lyric Street/Hollywood)
- Imperanon - Stained (Nuclear Blast)
- Killers - Hot Fuss (Island)
- Joseph Malik - Aquarius Songs (Compost)
- Christina Milian - It's About Time (Island)
Read: [article id="1488165"]"Christina Milian: Monster's Ball"[/article]
- Orphanage - Driven (Nuclear Blast)
- Philly's Most - Ring the Alarm (Universal)
- Pillar - Where Do We Go From Here (Flicker)
- Pink Grease - This Is for Real (Mute)
- Phish - Undermind (Elektra/Asylum)
- Patti Scialfa - 23rd Street Lullaby (Columbia)
- Seether - Disclaimer (Wind-Up)
- George Shearing - Like Fine Wine (Mack Avenue)
- Chris Stamey - Travels in the South (Yep Roc)
- Johnny Winter - I'm a Bluesman (Virgin)
- Various artists - Neurot Recordings I (Neurot)
- Various artists - What's Love? A Tribute to Tina Turner (Versailles)
- DVD: Cheap Trick - From Tokyo to You (Big 3/Cheap Trick Unlimited)
- Mobb Deep - Amerikaz Nightmare (Jive)
Read: [article id="1486014"]"Mobb Deep Blinded With '80s Science For 'Twisted' Beat"[/article]
- Wilco - A Ghost Is Born (Nonesuch)
- Brian Wilson - Gettin' in Over My Head (Rhino)
- Stevie Wonder - A Time 2 Love (Motown)
- Lloyd Banks - Hunger for More (Interscope)
Read: [article id="1485790"]"G-Unit's Lloyd Banks, Young Buck Recording Solo Albums"[/article]
- Brandy - Afrodisiac (Atlantic)
Read: [article id="1488354"]"Brandy On Growing Up: A Candid Chat"[/article]
- The Cure - The Cure (Geffen)
- Pixies - Wave of Mutilation: Best of Pixies (4AD)
- Ray Manzarek - Golden Scarab (Lemon Records)
- Angie Stone - Stone Love (J Records)