Vines Drop Off Incubus Tour, Citing Exhaustion

News comes in wake of onstage incident, canceled show in Sydney.

Australian rockers the Vines are battling mental and physical exhaustion and must pull out of an upcoming tour with Incubus, a spokesperson for the group said Wednesday.

Incubus’ North American trek launches June 24 in Atlantic City, New Jersey, and runs through August 18 in Los Angeles. No new opening act has been announced.

The Vines’ decision to cancel didn’t catch everyone by surprise. On May 27, during the first song of a gig in Sydney, Australia, frontman Craig Nicholls kicked a photographer’s camera, and then bassist Patrick Matthews stormed offstage and didn’t return. The concert had been organized by Sydney radio station Triple M, which subsequently dropped the band from its playlist. The Vines canceled their show the next night, claiming a member of the band was ill.

“The band would like to sincerely apologize to Incubus, our fans and friends,” the Vines said in a statement. “We would like to thank everyone close to us for the continued support.”

The Vines have not broken up, the band’s spokesperson emphasized.

“Ride,” the first single from the group’s second album, Winning Days, was used in a recent iPod television spot. Winning Days, which followed the band’s acclaimed 2002 album, Highly Evolved, came out March 23.