SANTA MONICA, California — Evanescence were set to record this summer until Amy Lee decided to spend the time with her boyfriend. Fortunately for fans, they like to travel.
"I thought it would be really fun to tour together since we've never had the chance," Lee said of Seether singer Shaun Morgan. "We're always missing each other on tour, like, 'I wish you were here so you can see this, this is awesome, I'm in Paris,' or whatever. It'll be fun to see how it works. I'm gonna try not to blow it. Mixing business with pleasure: sometimes it blows up in your face, but I'll try my best."
Evanescence and Seether are touring Europe through July, after which both bands will be joined by Three Days Grace and Breaking Benjamin for a North American trek beginning July 7 in Vancouver. Only the July dates have been finalized, but the outing is expected to last through the summer.
"We're actually playing some towns we haven't been to," said Lee, who's been on the road since last spring. "There's somewhere in South Florida [Sunrise] that's really close to where I grew up, and I'm excited for that 'cause we never get to go to South Florida. And Little Rock, for some reason we also never get to hit, the other place where everybody's from. So we will come home this time!"
While near nonstop touring tends to wear on most bands, Lee said the opposite is true for Evanescence. "We've learned how to be on the road," she said. "You learn to pace yourself. It's hard to explain, but once the tour has been together for a while you learn how cool it is. We had a break, and after a week it was like, 'When are we going back on tour? I've gotta get back on the road!' "
On the tour, Lee and Morgan will be spending time together both offstage and on, as Lee plans to join Seether for their version of "Broken" from "The Punisher" soundtrack (see "Don't Expect Many Collaborations From Amy Lee, Shaun Morgan").
"It's funny because whenever I watched their show before, I would get up and sing ['Broken'], so it's back to how it started," Lee said.
Evanescence recently released "Everybody's Fool" as the fourth single from their five-times platinum debut, Fallen, which is still floating around the top 10 some 15 months after it was released (see "Evanescence Eviscerate Consumer Culture In Dramatic New Video").
Evanescence tour dates, according to Wind-Up Records:
- 7/7 - Vancouver, BC @ PNE / Pacific Coliseum
- 7/9 - Kelowna, BC @ Rock the Bluff
- 7/10 - Camrose, AB @ Camrose Exhibition Fairgrounds
- 7/11 - Craven, SK @ Rock 'N' The Valley
- 7/13 - Minneapolis, MN @ Target Center
- 7/15 - Clarkston, MI @ DTE Energy Music Theatre
- 7/16 - Columbus, OH @ Germain Amphitheater
- 7/18 - Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre
- 7/19 - Ottawa, ON @ Corel Centre
- 7/20 - Montreal, QC @ Parc Jean-Drapeau
- 7/22 - Wantagh, NY @ Jones Beach
- 7/23 - Philadelphia, PA @ Penn's Landing
- 7/24 - Columbia, MD @ Merriweather Post Pavilion
- 7/26 - Sunrise, FL @ Office Depot Center
- 7/27 - Orlando, FL @ TD Waterhouse Centre
- 7/31 - Portsmouth, VA @ Harbor Center