The Pixies' North American reunion tour will kick off April 14 in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and culminate in their headlining performance at the Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival two weeks later.
Dates were announced Monday (February 9) for the 11-city "warm-up" trek preceding Coachella that will be the first live shows the influential post-punk quartet has played in a dozen years.
The goal of this road show seems to be playing outlying cities and towns before facing a large crowd. The band begins with seven dates in central and western Canada, including a two-night stint at Vancouver's Commodore Ballroom — the site of their last two live shows, almost twelve years to the day (April 24-25, 1992). Then they'll visit the Pacific Northwest and make a stop in the California college town of Davis before heading down to the Southern California desert for the Coachella festival (see "Full Coachella Lineup Announced").
As MTV News first reported in September (see "Legendary Pixies To Reunite For Tour, Album"), all four members of the Pixies — singer/guitarist Black Francis, bassist/singer Kim Deal, guitarist Joey Santiago and drummer David Lovering — have put aside a bitter breakup to reunite for a new tour and album projects. The band began rehearsing for the tour last week in Los Angeles (see "The Pixies — Yes, All Of Them — Gather For Rehearsal, Announce Tour Plans").
Pixies tour dates, according to their spokesperson:
- 4/14 - Winnipeg, MB @ Burton Cummings Theatre
- 4/15 - Regina, SK @ Doris Knight Ballroom
- 4/17 - Saskatoon, SK @ Prairieland
- 4/18 - Edmonton, AB @ Red's
- 4/19 - Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall
- 4/21 - Victoria, BC @ Victoria Curling Club
- 4/22 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
- 4/23 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore Ballroom
- 4/24 - Spokane, WA @ Big Easy
- 4/25 - Boise, ID @ Big Easy
- 4/27 - Eugene, OR @ MacDonald Theatre
- 4/29 - Davis, CA @ Freeborn Hall
- 5/1 - Indio, CA @ Coachella Festival