A little thing like a hit single can have a dramatic effect on one’s expectations. After Maroon 5′s success with “Harder to Breathe,” singer Adam Levine looks forward to their next single, “This Love,” going straight to the top.
“I have very high hopes,” Levine said of the second single to emerge from the band’s debut album, Songs About Jane. “I want it to be the #1 song in the country. That’s a lofty goal, but I really think it has the potential to do that.”
Although Levine is not entirely serious about his prediction, “This Love” is already on its way to matching its predecessor’s success. The song officially got pushed to radio last week, but some stations jumped the gun and “This Love” was among the songs most added to pop radio the week before the push. “Harder to Breathe,” meanwhile, is still among those stations’ most played tunes.
While the music has perked up listeners’ ears, the video is raising eyebrows — not so much for the performance part of the clip but rather for Levine’s intimacy with his girlfriend, Kelly McGee. Despite a gaggle of crewmembers including director Sophie Muller (Coldplay, No Doubt) and scenes requiring Levine to make out with a topless McGee, he said the shoot was neither uncomfortable nor terribly exciting.
“It was surprisingly not weird and surprisingly not sexual,” Levine said. “It was totally comfortable. I didn’t get horny or anything, which was weird since I shot it with my girlfriend.”
The band will soon tour with John Mayer, repeating their summer 2003 bill. Mayer counts himself among the band’s biggest fans, a mutual admiration sparked by his friendship with Maroon 5 guitarist James Valentine, who attended college with Mayer before the singer/songwriter’s career took off.
“They hung out and made music together, then John kind of blew up,” Levine explained. “James called him up and we got some shows with him. He’s a crazy cool dude.”
Levine is working on a new stage show he doesn’t quite have nailed down yet, but don’t expect costume changes, stage props, pyrotechnics or anything else resembling a Britney Spears spectacle.
His sole requirement? “I want simple but really impressive lighting,” he claimed. “We don’t want to have a huge video screen behind us distracting everybody from the point of coming to see a band. We want to keep it simple, sincere and amazing.”
Maroon 5 tour dates with John Mayer, according to their publicist:
- 2/14 – Vancouver, BC @ Pacific Coliseum
- 2/16 – Bozeman, MT @ Brick Breeden Fieldhouse
- 2/17 – Nampa, ID @ Idaho Center
- 2/20 – Las Vegas, NV @ Mandalay Bay Events Center
- 2/22 – Fresno, CA @ Save Mart Center
- 2/24 – Tucson, AZ @ Tucson Convention Center
- 2/25 – Las Cruces, NM @ Pan American Center
- 2/27 – New Orleans, LA @ UNO Lakefront Arena
- 2/28 – Memphis, TN @ Mid-South Coliseum
- 2/29 – Jackson, MS @ Mississippi Coliseum
- 3/3 – Pensacola, FL @ Pensacola Civic Center
- 3/5 – Sunrise, FL @ Office Depot Center
- 3/6 – Jacksonville, FL @ Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena
- 3/7 – Tampa, FL @ Sun Dome