Beyoncé Knowles won’t be such an independent woman on the soundtrack to her movie “The Fighting Temptations.”
The album will feature Beyoncé collaborating with a number of artists, including P. Diddy and Missy Elliott, as well a new track from Destiny’s Child and cuts by Faith Evans, the O’Jays and her sister, Solange.
Beyoncé — whose first solo record, Dangerously in Love, still sits comfortably in the top 10 on the Billboard albums chart — will also contribute the solo tracks “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot,” “Fever” and “He Still Loves Me” to the soundtrack of her first movie since making her Hollywood debut in last year’s “Austin Powers in Goldmember.”
Knowles recently completed a video for the soundtrack’s first single, “Fighting Temptation,” which teams her up with Missy Elliott, Free and old-school rapper MC Lyte (See “Beyonce Throws Ladies’ Night Party With Missy Elliott, MC Lyte, Free” ).
Directed by Antti Jokinen (Wyclef Jean, Brian McKnight), the clip includes scenes from the movie, which stars Oscar winner Cuba Gooding Jr. as a New York ad executive who has to assemble a gospel group in Georgia in order to claim a large inheritance. Beyoncé plays a nightclub singer recruited to join the choir (see “Beyonce Transforms Into Bohemian, Motherly Nightclub Singer” ). Faith Evans, Montell Jordan, Angie Stone and Melba Moore are also in the cast and contribute to the soundtrack.
P. Diddy was reportedly interested in the Cuba Gooding Jr. role at one time, but eventually he settled for making a soundtrack appearance alongside Beyoncé on a song called “Summertime.”
Knowles is joined by Michelle Williams and Kelly Rowland, who makes her own movie debut in this week’s “Freddy Vs. Jason” (see “Freddy Vs. Jason: A Match Made In Hell”), for the new Destiny’s Child track “I Know,” and by Bilal on “Everything I Do.”
The soundtrack is due September 9, and the movie opens 10 days later. The full track listing is as follows:
- Beyoncé Knowles f/ Missy Elliott, Mc Lyte and Free – “Fighting Temptation”
- Destiny’s Child – “I Know”
- Solange f/ Papa Reu – “Don’t Fight the Feelin’”
- Angie Stone and Eddie Levert f/ Walter Williams, Melba Moore, Montell Jordan, Zand and T-Bone – “Rain Down”
- T-Bone, Zane and Montell Jordan – “To Da River”
- Ann Nesby – “I’m Getting Ready”
- Shirley Caesar and Ann Nesby – “The Stone”
- Faith Evans – “Heaven Knows”
- Beyoncé Knowles – “Fever”
- Beyoncé Knowles and Bilal – “Everything I Do”
- O’Jays – “Loves Me Like a Rock”
- Beyoncé Knowles – “Swing Low, Sweet Chariot”
- Beyoncé Knowles – “He Still Loves Me”
- Beyoncé, Angie Stone and Melba Moore – “Time to Come Home”
- Beyoncé Knowles f/ P. Diddy – “Summertime”