After dropping hints through her Web site last month
that the upcoming North American leg of her
Charmbracelet Tour 2003 would undergo a surprising
change, Mariah Carey has announced exactly that.
The sultry singer unveiled dates on Friday for her
revamped Charmbracelet Tour 2003 - An Intimate
Evening, a 20-city trek across the U.S. and Canada that
trades in the ambition of gigantic arenas for the
intimacy of much smaller theaters.
Carey's coast-to-coast tour will be her first in
theater-sized venues. In April, she announced dates
for the original Charmbracelet Tour 2003, targeting
arenas that typically house between 10,000 and 20,000
"It's much more intimate so you'll feel like you had
an experience," Carey said during
rehearsals for her live show on Friday. "You
experience a night with me."
Carey's dates and venues in Asia, where her tour kicks
off on June 21 in Seoul, South Korea, will remain as
scheduled. Her North American tour begins July 26
at Caesar's Palace in Las Vegas. According to a Carey spokesperson, the singer will be
filling in for fellow diva Celine Dion, who will be
taking a night off from her five-shows-a-week,
three-year contract with the hotel venue.
Altering plans isn't necessarily a new idea for Carey.
In May, she announced the re-release of her recent
Charmbracelet album, which was originally released
in December 2002 as the first album of her
multimillion-dollar deal with Island Def Jam. It will
now be repackaged for a July 29 street date with four
new songs (see "Mariah Carey Adding Some New Charms To Her Bracelet").
Currently, Carey is near the top of the charts thanks
to her collaboration with Busta Rhymes on his hit
single "I Know What You Want," but her tour, she
said, will not feature a litany of special guests.
Carey promised a more theatrical performance than she's
done in the past saying the show "doesn't take itself
Through her Web site, Carey is asking fans to vote on songs they
most want to hear her sing when she comes to their
town. "I wanted to gauge what the fans really, really
want to hear and what are they kinda over," Carey
explained. "Are they going to be sick of 'Hero'? Do
they want to hear it still? It's #2 [so far]."
Visitors to her site can log in and select up to 20 of
their favorites amongst her 15 #1 hits and other
Charmbracelet Tour 2003 - An Intimate Evening dates, according to Carey's spokesperson :
- 7/26 - Las Vegas, NV @ Caesar's Colosseum
- 7/29 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
- 8/1 - St. Louis, MO @ Fox Theatre
- 8/3 - Cleveland, OH @ Scene Pavilion
- 8/7 - Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
- 8/10 - Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- 8/13 - Oakland, CA @ Paramount Theater
- 8/15 - Oakland, CA @ Paramount Theater
- 8/18 - Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre
- 8/20 - Los Angeles, CA - Greek Theatre
- 8/23 - Phoenix, AZ @ Dodge Theatre
- 8/26 - Grand Prairie, TX @ Next Stage at Grand Prairie
- 8/28 - The Woodlands, TX @ C.W. Mitchell Pavilion
- 8/30 - Orlando, FL @ Bob Carr Performing Arts Center
- 9/1 - Ft. Lauderdale, FL @ Broward Center
- 9/3 - Tampa Bay, FL @ Tampa P.A.C.
- 9/8 - Boston, MA @ Wang Center
- 9/10 - Upper Darby, PA @ Tower Theater
- 9/12 - Wallingford, CT @ Oakdale Theater
- 9/18 - New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
- 9/20 - Atlantic City, NJ @ Mark Etess Arena
- 9/23 - Manchester, NH @ Verizon Wireless Arena
—Joseph Patel, with additional reporting by John Norris