After a highly publicized MTV $2 Bill concert at New York’s Beacon Theater, a well-received appearance at the Field Day Festival and a show in Montreal, Radiohead have announced the first two legs of their North American tour.
The first stint begins August 13 in Mansfield, Massachusetts, and runs through August 31 in Auburn, Washington. Then, Radiohead will take three weeks off before resuming shows September 23 in Mountain View, California. Dates run though October 6 in Atlanta. Tickets for most of the first leg go on sale June 21 and the second batch of shows go on sale shortly after. Additional dates will be announced soon. The band is touring to support its new record, Hail to the Thief, which came out Tuesday.
Although the U.S. shows will mark Radiohead’s first Stateside jaunt since the summer of 2001, the band started touring the U.K. May 17 in Dublin and resumed its European tour Friday in Hultsfred, Sweden. And the group has been playing its new songs to live audiences for some time. In July and August of 2002, Radiohead road-tested Hail to the Thief to crowds in Spain and Portugal to see how the material would work in a live environment.
“When we toured for the last two records, it brought on this life in the songs that we didn’t expect,” lead singer Thom Yorke told MTV Europe. “We wanted to recapture that kind of energy again before we went in to record.”
Ex-Pavement frontman Stephen Malkmus and his band, the Jicks, will open for Radiohead on all dates.
Radiohead summer and fall tour dates, according to their publicist:
- 8/13 – Mansfield, MA @ Tweeter Center
- 8/15 – Montreal, QC @ Parc Jean-Drapeau
- 8/16 – Toronto, ON @ Molson Amphitheatre
- 8/18 – Camden, New Jersey @ Tweeter Center
- 8/20 – Columbia MD @ Merriweather Post Pavillion
- 8/21 – Cuyahoga Falls, OH @ Blossom Music Center
- 8/23 – East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre
- 8/24 – Maryland Heights, MO @ UMB Bank Pavilion
- 8/26 – Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- 8/28 – West Valley City, UT @ USANA Amphitheatre
- 8/30 – Vancouver, BC @ Thunderbird Stadium
- 8/31 – Auburn, WA @ White River Amphitheatre
- 9/23 – Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheater
- 9/25 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
- 9/26 – Los Angeles, CA @ Hollywood Bowl
- 9/28 – San Diego, CA @ Coors Amphitheater
- 10/1 – Houston, TX @ Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavillion
- 10/2 – New Orleans, LA @ Keifer UNO Lakefront Arena
- 10/4 – West Palm Beach, FL @ Sound Advice Amphitheater
- 10/6 – Atlanta, GA @ HiFi Buys Amphitheater