Great White Fire Claims 100th Life

Local hotel worker died Sunday after having undergone 30 operations.

After more than two and a half months on a ventilator, a woman with severe burns over her hands, face and upper body became the 100th life lost to the fire that leveled the Station club in Warwick, Rhode Island, during a February 20 show by Great White.

Pam Gruttadauria, 33, of Johnston, Rhode Island, died at 10:30 p.m. on Sunday after having undergone 30 operations, the Providence Journal reports.

When she arrived at Mass General hospital in Boston, Gruttadauria was almost burned beyond recognition and was registered as Jane Doe until she was identified by her mother. She remained under heavy sedation her entire time at the hospital.

Nearly a month after she was admitted, an infection damaged Gruttadauria’s kidneys and liver, and though she initially fought it off, she succumbed to another infection that caused her organs to shut down, according to the Journal.

Gruttadauria worked as a food and beverage supervisor at Holiday Inn Express in Warwick. She attended the Great White concert with her friend Donna Mitchell, who worked at the hotel’s reservations desk and also died in the blaze.

Gruttadauria is the first victim of the Station fire to die since Mitchell C. Shubert, who passed away March 6 (see “Death Toll Rises To 99 in Rhode Island; RI And Chicago Survivors Speak Out” ).

Five other fire victims remain hospitalized, one in critical condition. The deadly blaze was sparked by pyrotechnics that ignited foam material being used for soundproofing. Great White and the club’s owners, among others, are now facing a series of lawsuits (see “Great White Dropped From First Nightclub Fire Lawsuit” ).