After meeting to figure out what their next move would be, the Backstreet Boys have put on hold their plans to be Backstreet Boys once again.
"As a group, we have decided not to record our next album at this time," the bandmembers said in a statement released late Wednesday. "We are not breaking up, but individually we are currently at different places in our lives, and our hearts and minds are focused in other areas. All of us are getting along great and are supporting each other in our individual endeavors."
What those endeavors are remains unclear, as Nick Carter has wrapped his solo tour and Kevin Richardson has finished his run on Broadway in the stage version of "Chicago."
The band had previously planned to go back into the studio in late March to record the follow-up to 2000’s "Black & Blue," and the Boys had expressed interest in working with producers such as Glen Ballard, Jermaine Dupri and Babyface (see "Backstreet Boys Seek Jermaine Dupri, Glen Ballard For Next LP").
Last week Richardson said the band had decided to go with different producers, but he insisted that he and his bandmates were anxious to get back in the studio (see "Backstreet's Back: Group Plotting Follow-Up To Black & Blue").
"When the timing is right, we will record another Backstreet Boys album," Wednesday's statement said. "We would like to thank our fans for their continued support and love throughout our career."
The band’s management had no comment beyond the written statement, and the group's label, Jive, was unavailable for comment.