Expanded director's cuts have been a home video staple for a while, and now Jerry Cantrell is applying the same pure-vision principle to albums.
The former Alice in Chains guitarist's latest, Degradation Trip, will be reissued November 19 as a double album — the way Cantrell originally intended, according to a Roadrunner spokesperson.
Unlike some "expanded reissues," the retooled Degredation Trip, Cantrell's second solo album, isn't simply the original with some bonus material tacked onto the end. The new tracks featured on Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2 were recorded late last year during the same sessions as songs that made the first cut, and the revised track list incorporates the new tunes, rather than treating them as an amendment. Together, the 25 tracks take listeners on a more detailed journey into Cantrell's twisted psyche.
"I went through a lot, and I had to deal with a lot," he said of his experiences that led to Degradation Trip, not the least of which was witnessing his friend and former bandmate Layne Staley downwardly spiral into a drug addition that ultimately killed him in April (see "Layne Staley, Alice In Chains Singer, Dead At 34"). "It's funny, every record is a different situation, and [the amount of work] that I put into this record is certainly a first for me. It feels really good that it's come around and it came out the way that I wanted it to."
Meanwhile, "Angel Eyes," the second single from Degredation Trip, has begun to surface at radio. The gentle, melodic song is to AIC's "No Excuses" as Degradation's first single, the ominous "Anger Rising," was to "Again," from AIC's eponymous 1995 LP.
Having completed his stint opening for Creed and Nickelback, Cantrell will embark on a headlining tour beginning October 9 in Corpus Christi, Texas. Five weeks of dates are confirmed, with additions forthcoming, according to Cantrell's spokesperson. Comes With the Fall, Mad At Gravity and Diesel will serve as openers.
Track list for Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2:
- "Psychotic Break"
- "Bargain Basement Howard Hughes"
- "Angel Eyes"
- "Mother's Spinning In Her Grave (Glass Dick Jones)"
- "Profalse Idol"
- "Feel the Void"
- "Locked On"
- "Chemical Tribe"
- "What It Takes"
- "Dying Inside"
- "Hurts Don't It?"
- "She Was My Girl"
- "Pig Charmer"
- "Anger Rising"
- "Give It a Name"
- "Thanks Anyway"
Jerry Cantrell tour dates, according to Roadrunner Records:
- 10/9 - Corpus Christi, TX @ Party on the Patio
- 10/10 - San Antonio, TX @ Sunset Station Pavilion
- 10/11 - Austin, TX @ La Zona Rosa
- 10/12 - Dallas, TX @ Deep Ellum Live
- 10/13 - Oklahoma City, OK @ Bricktown Events Center
- 10/15 - Tempe, AZ @ Nita's Hideaway
- 10/16 - San Diego, CA @ 4th & B
- 10/18 - Los Angeles, CA @ Roxy
- 10/19 - Anaheim, CA @ House of Blues
- 10/20 - San Francisco, CA @ Slim's
- 10/21 - San Francisco, CA @ Great American Music Hall
- 10/23 - Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
- 10/24 - Seattle, WA @ Showbox
- 10/25 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Xscape
- 10/26 - Colorado Springs, CO @ 32 Bleu
- 10/27 - Lincoln, NE @ Royal Grove
- 10/29 - St. Louis, MO @ Pop's
- 10/30 - Peoria, IL @ Madison Theatre
- 10/31 - House of Blues @ Chicago, IL
- 11/1 - Cleveland, OH @ Odeon
- 11/3 - Ithaca, NY @ The Haunt
- 11/4 - Hartford, CT @ Webster Theatre
- 11/5 - Boston, MA @ Avalon Ballroom
- 11/7 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 11/8 - New York, NY @ The World
- 11/9 - Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
- 11/11 - Norfolk, VA @ NorVa
- 11/12 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
- 11/14 - Atlanta, GA @ Roxy
- 11/15 - New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
- 11/16 - Houston, TX @ Numbers