Mos Def, Common and the Roots have recorded new music for the soundtrack to "Brown Sugar," an upcoming movie set in the hip-hop industry in which all three acts appear.
Def contributes three versions of the film's title track — one with his and Talib Kweli's group Black Star — to the album, due September 24.
Queen Latifah and Mos Def have major roles in the film (see "Mos Def Talks Directing, New Musical Direction"), while Common, the Roots, Method Man, Doug E. Fresh, Slick Rick, Dana Dane and other rappers make cameos.
"Brown Sugar," written by "Carmen: A Hip Hopera" scribe Michael Elliot, chronicles the lives of a music executive, played by Taye Diggs ("The Best Man"), and a music critic, Sanaa Lathan ("Love & Basketball"), who met and became friends the day both discovered hip-hop.
Magic Johnson is the executive producer of the film, which hits theaters October 11.
The soundtrack features Erykah Badu's new single "Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop)," which features Common and was produced by Raphael Saadiq.
Other highlights include a cover of Cyndi Lauper's "Time After Time" by contemporary jazz singer Cassandra Wilson, Coldcut's remix of Eric. B and Rakim's hip-hop classic "Paid in Full" and Jill Scott's new "Easy Conversation."
"Brown Sugar" soundtrack track list, according to MCA:
- Mos Def - "Brown Sugar (Extra Sweet)"
- Erykah Badu featuring Common - "Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop)"
- Angie Stone - "Bring Your Heart"
- Black Star - "Brown Sugar (Raw)"
- Jill Scott - "Easy Conversation"
- Blackalicious featuring Lateef the Truth Speaker and KeKe Wyatt - "It's Going Down"
- Mos Def - "Breakdown"
- Rahsaan Patterson - "You Make Life So Good"
- Cassandra Wilson - "Time After Time"
- Eric B. and Rakim - "Paid in Full (7 Minutes of Madness - the Coldcut Remix)"
- Hi-Tek featuring Big D and Piakhan - "No One Knows Her Name"
- Mary J. Blige - "Never Been"
- Mos Def - "Brown Sugar (Fine)"
- Jully Black - "You Changed"