Box Car Racer will put their headlining mojo to the test this fall on a North American tour with bipolar Utah punk/metal outfit the Used.
The offshoot act, which is composed of Blink-182 guitarist and vocalist Tom DeLonge and drummer Travis Barker, guitarist David Kennedy from Over My Dead Body and bassist Anthony Celestino, will kick off the outing on October 25 in Dallas. The band has scheduled 22 shows so far.
Box Car Racer are touring behind their self-titled debut album, which came out in May (see [article id="1453328"]"Box Car Racer About The End Of The World, Not End Of Blink-182"[/article]). Earlier this year, the band filmed a video for its first single "I Feel So" with Nathan "Karma" Cox (System of a Down, Linkin Park).
While many side projects are revamps of the musicians' main gigs, Box Car Racer is a marked diversion from the sprightly pop-punk and goofy shenanigans of Blink-182. Most of the band's songs are bleak and apocalyptic, leaving little room for clowning around. And while there are sonic similarities between the two bands, Box Car Racer are starker and moodier, injecting elements of emo and post-punk within their twisting tunes.
The Used are currently on Ozzfest in support of their self-titled debut album, which came out in June. The band has released a live video for "A Box Full of Sharp Objects" and will shoot a clip for "The Taste of Ink" on August 22, though a director has yet to be chosen. The band's somewhat schizophrenic hybrid of metal, alt-punk and emo reflects the rage, frustration, guilt and vulnerability of formerly devout Mormons rebelling against their restrictive upbringing (see [article id="1456134"]"Now That The Used Are No Longer Using, Life Is 'Unreal' " [/article]).
Fall and winter tour dates for Box Car Racer and the Used, according to MCA Records:
- 10/25 - Dallas, TX @ Bronco Bowl
- 10/27 - Houston, TX @ Verizon Wireless Theater
- 10/30 - Gainesville, FL @ The Palace
- 11/1 - New York, NY @ Hammerstein Ballroom
- 11/2 - Washington, DC @ Nation
- 11/3 - Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
- 11/4 - Worcester, MA @ The Palladium
- 11/6 - Montreal, QC @ Metropolis
- 11/7 - Toronto, ON @ Kool Haus
- 11/8 - Detroit, MI @ State Theatre
- 11/9 - Chicago, IL @ Aragon Ballroom
- 11/12 - Milwaukee, WI @ Eagles Ballroom
- 11/13 - Minneapolis, MN @ Quest Club
- 11/15 - Denver, CO @ Fillmore Auditorium
- 11/16 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Brick's
- 11/18 - Portland, OR @ Crystal Ballroom
- 11/19 - Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
- 11/21 - San Francisco, CA @ The Warfield
- 11/22 - Ventura, CA @ Ventura Theatre
- 11/23 - Los Angeles, CA @ Wiltern Theatre
- 11/24 - Los Angeles, CA @ Wiltern Theatre
- 11/26 - Las Vegas, NV @ The Joint