U2 have tapped No Doubt, Garbage and Stereophonics for the third leg of their Elevation Tour 2001, meaning fans can look forward to hearing some new tunes as the trek hits major cities in the U.S. and Canada.
Gwen Stefani and company will prime the crowd with a mix of old favorites and new material from Rock Steady, due December 18 (see "No Doubt's Rock Steady Right On Time"), according to the group's publicist. The Southern California quartet will latch onto U2's train for the final six dates of the roadshow, beginning November 5 in Austin, Texas (see "U2 Announce Elevation Tour's Fall Itinerary"). The brief outing will be No Doubt's first string of U.S. dates in almost a year.
Garbage, with their third album slated for release October 2, are the tour's first opening act, according to their management company (see "Garbage Push Back Album But Reveal Track Listing"). The group will cover half a dozen dates, finishing up October 24 in New York. Selections from the Shirley Manson-fronted four-piece's new LP, Beautifulgarbage, are likely to be mixed in with previous hits like "Only Happy When It Rains" and "I Think I'm Paranoid." Garbage haven't toured the States in two years.
Stereophonics occupy the tour's middle ground with three dates beginning October 28 in East Rutherford, New Jersey, according to a V2 Records publicist. The British rock trio's third album, Just Enough Education to Perform, was released in April, following objections from auto manufacturer DaimlerChrysler over the LP's original title, J.E.E.P. (see "Stereophonics Shift Gears On New Album Title").
U2's Elevation 2001 Tour itinerary with openers, according to each band's respective spokespeople:
- 10/10 - South Bend, IN @ Joyce Center (w/ Garbage)
- 10/12 - Montreal, QC @ Molson Centre (w/ Garbage)
- 10/13 - Hamilton, ON @ Copps Coliseum (w/ Garbage)
- 10/15 - Chicago, IL @ United Center (w/ Garbage)
- 10/19 - Baltimore, MD @ Baltimore Arena (w/ Garbage)
- 10/24 - New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden (w/ Garbage)
- 10/28 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Continental Airlines Arena (w/ Stereophonics)
- 10/30 - Providence, RI @ Dunkin' Donuts Civic Center (w/ Stereophonics)
- 11/2 - Philadelphia, PA @ First Union Center (w/ Stereophonics)
- 11/5 - Austin, TX @ Frank Erwin Center (w/ No Doubt)
- 11/7 - Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center (w/ No Doubt)
- 11/9 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Delta Center (w/ No Doubt)
- 11/12 - Los Angeles, CA @ Staples Center (w/ No Doubt)
- 11/15 - Oakland, CA @ Oakland Arena (w/ No Doubt)
- 11/18 - Las Vegas, NV @ Thomas & Mack Center (w/ No Doubt)