Sultry songbird Nikka Costa was in Los Angeles a few weeks ago shooting a video for “Everybody Got Their Something,” the title track and second single from her debut album. To hear her tell it, the cameo-studded, David Meyers-directed clip promises to be, well, something else.
“It’s a spoof on the entertainment industry — on the record industry — and I play a super hero called the Funky White Bitch,” Costa said.
“I try to save the world from Wack Records, [which] is owned by Mr. Biz, played by James Caan. We’ve got Big Pussy [Vincent Pastore] from ’The Sopranos.’ Max Perlich [“Blow,” “The Independent”] is the A&R guy, and he’s got no ears. I mean, it’s completely ridiculous and it’s done really tongue-in-cheek. It’s like slapstick, and I do all this kung fu sh–. It’s a great excuse to wear a cape and Underoos, so …”
Compared to Costa’s seductive first video, for “Like a Feather,” the concept of its follow-up is rather tame (though she does claim to perform a table dance for Caan). With “Everybody Got Their Something,” Costa aimed to show there’s more to her than just gyrating around in sheer blouses and cleavage-revealing “plumber’s pants.”
“The first video … was a good introduction for me as an artist, and it still kind of gave a taste of what you might see if you came and saw me live. That’s what I really wanted to kind of get across,” she explained. “With this one I just wanted to have fun and laugh and not take things so seriously, just say f— it!”
The new video hasn’t been the only thing on Costa’s plate. Her cover of Blondie’s 1981 hit “Call Me” is set to appear on the soundtrack to the film “Zoolander,” scheduled for release September 25, according to Hollywood Records. Other notable covers on the Ben Stiller film’s soundtrack include No Doubt’s “Love to Love You Baby” (originally a hit for Donna Summer), the Wallflowers’ “I Started a Joke” (the Bee Gees), Rufus Wainwright’s “He Ain’t Heavy, He’s My Brother” (the Hollies) and Powerman 5000’s “Relax” (Frankie Goes to Hollywood).
Taking a cue from her character in the “Everybody Got Their Something” video, Costa will also embark on the Funky White Bitch Tour beginning September 26 in Boulder, Colorado. Coming on the heels of her trek with Erykah Badu, the five-week jaunt hits 23 North American cities before wrapping up November 2 in Vancouver, British Columbia.
Funky White Bitch tour dates, according to Virgin Records:
- 9/26 – Boulder, CO @ Fox Theatre
- 9/28 – Minneapolis, MN @ The Quest
- 9/29 – Chicago, IL @ The Metro
- 10/1 – Cincinnati, OH @ Bogarts
- 10/2 – Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
- 10/3 – Cleveland, OH @ Odeon Theatre
- 10/5 – Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
- 10/6 – Toronto, ON@ Lee’s Palace
- 10/7 – Montreal, QB @ Cabaret
- 10/9 – Boston, MA @ Paradise Club
- 10/10 – Philadelphia, PA @ TLA
- 10/11 – New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 10/15 – Atlanta, GA @ Earthlink Live
- 10/16 – New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
- 10/18 – Houston, TX @ Engine Room
- 10/19 – Austin, TX @ La Zona Rosa
- 10/20 – Dallas, TX @ Trees
- 10/22 – Phoenix, AZ @ Cajun House
- 10/23 – San Diego, CA @ Canes Ballroom
- 10/27 – Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre
- 10/29 – San Francisco, CA @ Bimbo’s
- 10/30 – Portland, OR @ Roseland
- 11/1 – Seattle, WA @ EMP Church
- 11/2 – Vancouver, BC @ Richard’s on Richards
For a full interview with Nikka Costa, check out “7 Questions With Nikka Costa.”