With Phish on dry land, guitarist Trey Anastasio is dipping into the musical well with another band.
The six-string noodler is working on a studio album with the eight-piece band that accompanied him on this summer's solo tour (see "Trey Anastasio Keeping Busy During Phish Break"), according to his spokesperson. The basis for most tracks has already been laid down, leaving Anastasio free to work on orchestral arrangements to complement the framework. A 35-piece orchestra will bring Anastasio's aural creations to life in his Vermont studio.
It hasn't been decided whether the results will be billed as a Trey Anastasio solo album or fall under a collective name like Anastasio's Surrender to the Air project, which featured guitarist Marc Ribot and keyboardist John Medeski, among others, and released its self-titled debut in 1996. In any case, the LP is expected to drop next year on Elektra Records.
Meanwhile, Oysterhead, another project by the prolific guitarist, will hit the road for a monthlong run beginning October 21 in Seattle, with two warm-up shows scheduled for mid-September. The trio, rounded out by Primus bassist Les Claypool and former Police drummer Stewart Copeland, are touring in support of The Grand Pecking Order, due October 2.
While Phish are still on an indefinite hiatus, a slew of live albums this fall should keep Phishheads swimming in sound. Five concert recordings from 1995-2000 are scheduled for release September 18, with a sixth slated for October (see "Live Phish Release Dates Announced").
Oysterhead tour dates, according to Anastasio's spokesperson:
- 9/14 - New Haven, CT @ Toad's Place
- 9/15 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 10/21 - Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
- 10/23 - Vancouver, BC @ Orpheum Theatre
- 10/24 - Salem, OR @ Salem Armory
- 10/26 - Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre
- 10/27 - Hollywood, CA @ Hollywood Palladium
- 10/30 - Denver, CO @ Fillmore Auditorium
- 10/31 - Denver, CO @ Fillmore Auditorium
- 11/2 - Chicago, IL @ Aragon Theatre
- 11/3 - West Lafayette, IN @ Elliott Hall of Music
- 11/4 - Ann Arbor, MI @ Hill Auditorium
- 11/6 - Cleveland, OH @ State Theatre
- 11/7 - Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
- 11/9 - Utica, NY @ Utica Memorial Auditorium
- 11/10 - Lowell, MA @ Paul E. Tsongas Arena
- 11/11 - Camden, NJ @ Tweeter Center at the Waterfront
- 11/13 - New York, NY @ Roseland
- 11/14 - New York, NY @ Roseland
- 11/16 - Washington, DC @ DAR Constitution Hall
- 11/17 - Asheville, NC @ Asheville Civic Center
- 11/18 - Gainesville, FL @ Stephen C. O'Connell Center