With or without ailing bassist Mikey Welsh, Weezer are heading out on tour next month beginning September 11 in San Jose, California.
The 14-date tour, hitting mostly arenas, will include two more dates in California and stops in the Midwest before ending in Uniondale, New York, according to Interscope Records. (Click for photos of Weezer performing live.)
Metal band Cold fresh from an outing with Staind will open for Weezer on the tour.
Weezer are rehearsing numerous new songs and may debut some in their upcoming shows, according to band assistant Karl Koch.
Weezer bassist Mikey Welsh recently checked into a psychiatric hospital for treatment of an undisclosed condition (see "Weezer Bassist Checks Into Psychiatric Hospital"). The band is auditioning possible temporary replacements for Welsh in case he doesn't recover in time for the tour, according to Koch.
Weezer tour dates, according to Interscope Records:
- 9/11 - San Jose, CA @ Event Center Arena
- 9/12 - Oakland, CA @ Henry J. Kaiser Arena
- 9/14 - San Diego, CA @ Cox Arena
- 9/15 - Las Vegas, NV @ Cox Pavilion
- 9/17 - West Valley, UT @ E Center
- 9/18 - Denver, CO @ Denver Coliseum
- 9/20 - St. Paul, MN @ Roy Wilkins Auditorium
- 9/21 - Chicago, IL @ United Center
- 9/22 - Detroit, MI @ Cobo Arena
- 9/24 - Toronto, ON @ Arrow Hall
- 9/25 - Worcester, MA @ The Centrum
- 9/27 - Philadelphia, PA @ First Union Spectrum
- 9/28 - Fairfax, VA @ Patriot Center
- 9/29 - Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Coliseum