When Björk's album drops, she'll promote it in places where you can hear a pin drop.
The Icelandic singer will promote Verspertine, due August 28, with a worldwide tour of opera houses and theaters known for their alluring acoustics, according to her Elektra Records publicist.
On her first world tour in three years, Björk will play seven North American dates, beginning with two nights at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on October 4 and 5.
Along the way, Björk will play additional shows in venues capable of holding 300 or fewer people. The scaled-down gigs will be announced the day they're scheduled to take place and will feature the singer performing without a soundsystem, similar to her May performances at New York's Riverside Church (see "Björk Takes Vespertine To Church").
For her more elaborate opera-house and theater shows, the star of last year's "Dancer in the Dark" will perform with the Netherlands' 54-piece Il Novecento Orchestra, conducted by Simon Lee.
Also accompanying Björk onstage will be a girls' choir from Greenland, a Canadian throat singer, experimental electronic duo Matmos and electric harpist Zeena Parkins, according to Elektra. Parkins has released 70 albums and worked with the likes of Hole and Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth in addition to Björk.
Matmos Martin Schmidt and Andrew Daniel will also be the tour's opening act, supporting their recently released album, A Chance to Cut Is a Chance to Cure, which samples the sounds of surgical procedures. They provided much of the music for Vespertine.
Additional dates in Europe, Japan and Iceland will be announced later this month.
Björk's tour dates, according to Elektra:
- 8/18 - Paris, France @ Grand Rex
- 8/20 - Paris, France @ Grand Rex
- 8/23 - Paris, France @ La Sainte Chapelle
- 8/25 - Paris, France @ La Sainte Chapelle
- 8/29 - London, England @ St. John's, Smith Square
- 9/11 - Stuttgart, Germany @ Hegelsaal
- 9/15 - Lausanne, Switzerland @ Metropole
- 9/18 - Frankfurt, Germany @ Alte Oper Frankfurt
- 9/21 - Roubaix, France @ Le Colisee
- 9/23 - London, England @ National Opera House
- 9/26 - Brussels, Belgium @ Cirque Royal
- 9/28 - Amsterdam, Holland @ Muziektheatre
- 10/4 - New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
- 10/5 - New York, NY @ Radio City Music Hall
- 10/7 - Toronto, ON @ Hummingbird Centre for the Performing Arts
- 10/12 - Boston, MA @ Wang Center
- 10/14 - Chicago, IL @ Civic Opera House
- 10/17 - Oakland, CA @ Paramount Theatre of the Arts
- 10/22 - Los Angeles, CA @ Dorothy Chandler Pavilion
For a feature interview with Björk, check out "Björk: In Focus."