Teen heartthrobs come and go, of course. Sometimes they return, however, and very occasionally their comebacks succeed. And David Cassidy, who is working on his first major-label recording in 11 years, hopes to be counted among the latter.
Universal Records' United Kingdom division will release a new Cassidy album in October, and the disc will likely come out in the United States shortly thereafter, said his publicist. Then and Now will collect newly arranged Partridge Family favorites, including "I Think I Love You" and "I Woke Up in Love This Morning," as well as "Rock Me Baby," "Lyin' to Myself" and "Cherish" from Cassidy's solo career. The disc will also include a cover of Bill Withers' "Ain't No Sunshine" and may feature new material Cassidy co-wrote with songwriter Sue Shifrin.
The '70s teen dream is recording Then and Now with producer Ted Carfrae in Wimbledon, England. Cassidy has been on tour for the past six months but has taken numerous breaks to work on the record. He returned to the studio again after a July 21 show at the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles.
After returning to the States this week, he'll MC David Cassidy's Day at the Races on August 3 and 4. The event, to be held at Saratoga Racetrack in Saratoga Springs, New York, will benefit the Belmont Child Care Association, the Northeast Parent & Child Society and the Catie Hoch Foundation.
David Cassidy, son of the late actor Jack Cassidy, played Keith Partridge in the hit '70s TV series "The Partridge Family." The sitcom about a fictional family pop group also featured Cassidy's stepmother, Shirley Jones. Cassidy released his first solo album, Cherish, in 1972 and followed it with a series of records on various labels. His last major-label disc was 1985's Romance. His most recent record was the self-released Old Trick New Dog (1998).
Cassidy returned to acting In the '80s and '90s. He starred in "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" and "Blood Brothers" on Broadway. He also performed in "At the Copa" and "The Rat Pack Is Back" in Las Vegas.
Here are the remaining dates for David Cassidy's U.S. tour, according to his publicist:
- 8/14 - Beverly, MA @ North Shore Music Theatre
- 8/16 - Westbury, NY @ Westbury Music Fair
- 8/17 - East Chicago, IL @ Harrah's
- 8/18 - Joliet, IL @ Harrah's
- 9/7 - Shreveport, LA @ Harrah's Casino
- 9/8 - Shreveport, LA @ Harrah's Casino
- 9/15 - Reno, NV @Harrah's Reno
- 9/21 - New Orleans @ Harrah's
- 9/22 - New Orleans @ Harrah's
- 10/12 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Raymond F. Kravis Center
- 10/13 - Clearwater, FL @ Ruth Eckerd Hall
- 10/17 - Kansas City, MO @ Harrah's
- 10/18 - Kansas City, MO @ Harrah's
- 10/19 - Phoenix, AZ @ Arizona State Fair
- 10/27 - Belmont Park, NY @ Breeder's Cup (singing the national anthem)
- 11/1 - Atlantic City, NJ @ Harrah's Casino Hotel
- 11/2 - Atlantic City, NJ @ Harrah's Casino Hotel
- 11/23 - Las Vegas, NV @ Rio Hotel/Casino
- 11/24 - Las Vegas, NV @ Rio Hotel/Casino
- 12/1 - Lake Tahoe, NV @ Harrah's Tahoe
- 12/2 - Lake Tahoe, NV @ Harrah's Tahoe