While Maynard James Keenan may very well be the crown prince of art metal, he'll be paired with proper prog-rock royalty this August when his band Tool teams up with King Crimson for nine dates.
After kicking off August 3 at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre outside Denver, the short trek sticks to the West Coast and closes August 15 in San Diego, according to Tool's publicist.
A full-scale U.S. tour is being planned for September, according to Tool's management.
Tool are currently wrapping up the European leg of a tour supporting Lateralus, which was released in May. After that, they'll play Edgefest 2001 in Barrie, Ontario, before performing in Australia and New Zealand throughout July. The band is scheduled to play the Roskilde Festival in Denmark on Thursday.
Before hooking up with Tool (see "Tool, King Crimson Hook Up For August Shows"), King Crimson guitarists Robert Fripp and Adrian Belew, multi-instrumentalist Trey Gunn and drummer Pat Mastelotto have lined up a handful of U.S. dates, beginning July 23 in Cincinnati, according to the band's manager. After the shows with Tool, the group will head to Mexico City for three shows at the Metropolitan Theatre.
The band is also working on a new album that carries the working title Nouveau Metal. The follow-up to last year's ConstruKction of Light is expected to surface early next year.
Tool/King Crimson tour dates, according to Tool's publicist:
- 8/3 - Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre
- 8/6 - Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
- 8/7 - Seattle, WA @ Paramount Theatre
- 8/8 - Portland, OR @ Arlene Schnitzer Hall
- 8/10 - Berkeley, CA @ Community Theater
- 8/11 - Berkeley, CA @ Community Theater
- 8/13 - Los Angeles, CA @ Wiltern Theatre
- 8/14 - Los Angeles, CA @ Wiltern Theatre
- 8/15 - San Diego, CA @ SDSU Open Air Theatre
King Crimson tour dates, according to the band's manager:
- 7/23 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogart's
- 7/24 - Knoxville, TN @ Tennessee Theatre
- 7/25 - Atlanta, GA @ Variety Playhouse
- 7/27 - Orlando, FL @ House of Blues
- 7/28 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Carefree Theatre
- 7/29 - St. Petersburg, FL @ Jannus Landing
- 7/31 - New Orleans, LA @ House of Blues
(This story was updated at 9:21 p.m. ET Wednesday, June 27, 2001)