Metal veterans Black Sabbath have tapped current Ozzfest compatriots Disturbed for a string of dates scheduled to kick off after the multiband metal fest wraps up August 12 in Holmdel, New Jersey.
Disturbed were promoted from Ozzfest 2001's second stage to its main stage after some 20,000 fans crowded in to see them when the tour opened in their hometown, Chicago. (Who'll be the next Ozzfest band to blow up? Click HERE to register your vote.)
The brief jaunt, with seven confirmed gigs, will be confined to the East Coast, according to Disturbed's publicist. The mini-tour will either kick off August 14 at New York-area Jones Beach or wrap up at the venue on August 25, making it the only unconfirmed venue.
In light of the additional tour dates, it's unclear when Sabbath singer Ozzy Osbourne will put the finishing touches on his first solo album in six years, scheduled for release October 16, or begin recording the first Black Sabbath album with the original lineup since 1978's Never Say Die (see "Ozzfest Reveals Clues To Ozzy's Future"). Ozzy was reportedly going to begin work on both projects once Ozzfest 2001 concluded; though Ozzy/Sabbath spokespersons were unavailable for comment by press time.
Black Sabbath/Disturbed dates, according to Disturbed's publicist:
- 8/14 - Wantagh, NY @ Jones Beach Amphitheatre (tentative)
- 8/15 - Scranton, PA @ Coors Light Amphitheatre at Montage Mountain
- 8/17 - Hershey, PA @ Hersheypark Arena
- 8/18 - Buffalo, NY @ HSBC Arena
- 8/21 - Virginia Beach, VA @ Verizon Wireless Virginia Beach Amphitheatre
- 8/23 - Saratoga Springs, NY @ Performing Arts Center
- 8/24 - Columbia, MD @ Merriweather Post
- 8/25 - Wantagh, NY @ Jones Beach Amphitheatre (tentative)