'NSYNC fans had to wait an extra five days for the PopOdyssey tour to kick off Wednesday, and the group promises to make it worthwhile with an elaborate stage setup and the chance for audience members to join the band onstage.
In addition to a five-story-high main stage, several smaller stages will be set up throughout each venue. There won't be a bad seat in the house, according to an 'NSYNC publicist.
Originally set to begin May 12 in Miami, opening night was pushed back to May 18 and then to May 23 in Jacksonville, Florida (see "'NSYNC Push Back Tour, Album Release").
Calling it one of the biggest pop tours ever mounted, the publicist said that a total of 88 trucks would be transporting two separate, complete concert setups from town to town. While 'NSYNC are playing in one city, a crew will already be setting up in the next city. The group's 2000 tour only needed 19 trucks, the publicist added.
At the shows, 'NSYNC will treat fans to songs from their upcoming album, Celebrity, due July 24. During the title song, 20 randomly selected fans will join the group onstage to take pictures as the guys walk down a red carpet.
Souvenir stands will be selling 'NSYNC single-use cameras, and the group will ask audience members to shoot away during "Celebrity," with the hope that thousands of flashes will create a "paparazzi" effect. One dollar from each camera sold will go to 'NSYNC's Challenge for the Children Foundation, which raises money for kids' programs and other charities throughout the United States.
During its shows, the group will also run a public service announcement for the Office of National Drug Control Policy featuring the group members talking about their "anti-drugs," the people and things they see as healthy, creative alternatives to drugs.
After postponing the tour launch twice and canceling a May 30 show in Foxboro, Massachusetts, because crews wouldn't have enough time to set up the stages, the group suffered a scare at rehearsals in New Orleans last week when Joey Fatone suffered a cut on his leg after misjudging a trapdoor opening. The injury was minor, however, and Fatone rejoined the group for recording sessions in Los Angeles over the weekend, the publicist said.
'NSYNC tour dates, according to the group's publicist:
- 5/23 - Jacksonville, FL @ Alltel Stadium
- 5/26 - Hershey, PA @ Hersheypark Stadium
- 5/28 - Hershey, PA @ Hersheypark Stadium
- 5/31 - Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
- 6/1 - Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
- 6/3 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Giants Stadium
- 6/4 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Giants Stadium
- 6/5 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Giants Stadium
- 6/8 - Cincinnati, OH @ Cinergy Field
- 6/10 - Buffalo, NY @ Ralph Wilson Stadium
- 6/13 - Philadelphia, PA @ Veterans Stadium
- 6/16 - Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field
- 6/17 - Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field
- 6/19 - Toronto, ON @ Toronto Skydome
- 6/21 - Cleveland, OH @ Cleveland Browns Stadium
- 6/22 - Cleveland, OH @ Cleveland Browns Stadium
- 6/24 - Minneapolis, MN @ HHH Metrodome
- 6/26 - Milwaukee, WI @ Miller Park
- 6/29 - Detroit, MI @ Comerica Park
- 6/30 - Detroit, MI @ Comerica Park
- 7/2 - St. Louis, MO @ Trans World Dome
- 7/4 - Little Rock, AR @ War Memorial Stadium
- 7/6 - Houston, TX @ Reliant Astrodome
- 7/8 - Dallas, TX @ Texas Stadium
- 7/10 - Kansas City, MO @ Arrowhead Stadium
- 7/13 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Stadium
- 7/16 - San Diego, CA @ Qualcomm Stadium
- 7/18 - Phoenix, AZ @ Bank One Ballpark
- 7/21 - Oakland, CA @ Network Associates Coliseum
- 7/22 - Oakland, CA @ Network Associates Coliseum
- 7/24 - Pasadena, CA @ Rose Bowl
- 7/27 - Las Vegas, NV @ Sam Boyd Stadium
- 7/31 - Tampa, FL @ Raymond James Stadium
- 8/2 - Miami, FL @ Pro Player Stadium
- 8/5 - San Antonio, TX @ Alamodome
- 8/7 - Birmingham, AL @ Legion Field
- 8/9 - Louisville, KY @ Cardinal Stadium
- 8/11 - Atlanta, GA @ Georgia Dome
- 8/13 - Washington, DC @ RFK Stadium
- 8/16 - Indianapolis, IN @ RCA Dome
- 8/18 - Pittsburgh, PA @ New Steeler Stadium
- 8/22 - New Orleans, LA @ Louisiana Superdome
- 8/24 - Jackson, MS @ Veterans Memorial Stadium