Just because Primus is on hiatus doesn't mean Les Claypool is taking any time off.
In addition to polishing off the first release from Oysterhead his band with former Police drummer Stewart Copeland and Phish guitarist Trey Anastasio the bassist and singer is prepping his Frog Brigade for a summer tour, according to his publicist.
Frog Brigade, which released the concert disc Live Frogs Set 1 on April 10, will join this year's Gathering of the Vibes on June 29. Other performers at the three-day festival include Bruce Hornsby, Soulive and Tom Tom Club. The band will then play a series of dates with former Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh.
Live Frogs Set 1 features an eclectic mix of tunes from various Claypool projects, including Sausage's "Riddles Are Abound Tonight" and Holy Mackerel's "Running the Gauntlet," and covers including Pink Floyd's "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" and King Crimson's "Thela Hun Ginjeet." A second album, predictably titled Live Frogs Set 2, features the band's version of the entire Pink Floyd Animals album.
Claypool also plans to release a series of Primus live recordings on his Prawn Song label.
Les Claypool's Frog Brigade tour dates, according to the band's publicist:
- 6/16 - Port Orford, OR @ Family Affaire Festival
- 6/29 - Red Hook, NY @ Gathering of the Vibes
- 7/1 - Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre (with Phil Lesh)
- 7/6 - Morrison, CO @ Red Rocks Amphitheatre (with Phil Lesh)
- 7/13 - Somerset, WI @ Float-Rite Park Amphitheatre (with String Cheese Incident)
- 7/14 - East Troy, WI @ Alpine Valley Music Theatre (with Phil Lesh and String Cheese Incident)
- 7/24 - Canandaigua, NY @ Finger Lakes Performing Arts Center (with Phil Lesh)
- 7/27 - Holmdel, NJ @ P.N.C. Bank Arts Center (with Phil Lesh)
- 7/31 - Columbia, MD @ Merriweather Post Pavilion (with Phil Lesh)