Eminem Pleads No Contest To Weapons Charges

Charges stem from argument last June with Insane Clown Posse associate.

Eminem pleaded no contest Monday to weapons charges stemming from an argument with an associate of rival Detroit rap group Insane Clown Posse last June.

Though the multiplatinum rapper won’t be sentenced until June 5, Oakland County, Michigan, prosecutor Mark Bilkovic told the Detroit Free Press earlier this month that he would not seek jail time. Eminem is charged with carrying a concealed weapon and a misdemeanor of brandishing a firearm in public last June 3, when he exchanged heated words with the ICP associate outside a Royal Oak, Michigan, car stereo shop. The felony charge carries up to five years of jail time.

Oakland County Circuit Court Judge Denise Langford Morris said she agreed with Bilkovic’s recommendation, but that she could change her mind once she reviews the case, according to the Associated Press. Eminem’s lawyer, Walter Piszczatowski, said later Monday that if the judge decides on a sentence other than probation, the rapper could withdraw his plea and ask for a trial.

Eminem is already serving two years’ probation on another concealed weapons charge in a much-publicized June 4 incident in which he was accused of attacking a man he saw kissing his then-wife, Kim, outside a metro Detroit nightclub (see “Eminem Gets Two Years’ Probation In Weapon Case” ). In exchange for his guilty plea to that charge, prosecutors dropped another charge of assault.

Piszczatowski said Eminem could face up to five years’ probation in the Oakland County case, but was hopeful that the rapper would receive no more than two years, to run concurrent with his existing sentence.

(This story was updated at 7:42 p.m. ET Monday, April 23, 2001.)