'NSYNC's highly anticipated summer tour, PopOdyssey, is apparently such a spectacle, the group has been forced to delay opening night by six days to properly prepare.
The outing is now scheduled to kick off May 18 at Alltel Stadium in Jacksonville, Florida, according to promoters. The previous opening night, May 12 at Pro Player Stadium in Miami, Florida, has been moved to August 2.
Other dates have been changed (May 15 in Tampa, Florida, to July 31; May 24 in Atlanta, Georgia, to August 11; June 6 in Cincinnati, Ohio, to June 8; June 12 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, to June 13; June 29 in Detroit, Michigan, to June 30; August 10 in Louisville, Kentucky, to August 9),
deleted (May 22 in Charlotte, North Carolina; July 31 in Las Cruces, New Mexico; August 18 in Memphis, Tennessee) and added (August 18 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; August 22 in New Orleans, Louisiana).
Extra time was needed by the production staff to complete the tour's staging, according to a press release. Promoters said the 88 trucks it will require to carry the production make PopOdyssey the largest tour in pop history.
"['NSYNC] wanted to make sure that all their fans got the full effect of this dynamic tour," Brad Wavra of SFX, the tour's promoters, said in the release. "We, along with the group, regret any inconvenience this schedule change may have caused for the fans. We promise this tour will be a musical extravaganza for the record books."
Refunds will be given to fans who purchased tickets to canceled shows.
'NSYNC is scheduled to play 45 dates in 38 cities. Television-spawned pop group Eden's Crush will join the group on June 19 and open for the remainder of the tour (see "'NSYNC Set Hearts On 'Popstars' For Tour").
In other 'NSYNC news, marionettes of the group, like those featured in their "It's Gonna Be Me" video, are for sale beginning today at www.nsyncdirect.com.
Each $300 puppet is two feet high, weighs four pounds and comes with a certificate of authenticity signed by the band member depicted. Only 440 marionettes are available. A portion of the proceeds will go to 'NSYNC's charity, Challenge for the Children.
'NSYNC are in the studio recording tracks for their next album (see "'NSYNC To Release Celebrity On June 26"). Jive Records hopes to release the first single by the end of April.
'NSYNC PopOdyssey tour dates, according to SFX:
- 5/18 - Jacksonville, FL @ Alltel Stadium
- 5/20 - Jackson, MS @ Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium
- 5/26 - Hershey, PA @ Hershey Park Stadium
- 5/28 - Hershey, PA @ Hershey Park Stadium
- 5/31 - Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
- 6/1 - Foxboro, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
- 6/3 - East Rutherford, NJ @ Giants Stadium
- 6/8 - Cincinnati, OH @ Cynergy Field
- 6/10 - Buffalo, NY @ Ralph Wilson Stadium
- 6/13 - Philadelphia, PA @ Veterans Stadium
- 6/16 - Chicago, IL @ Soldier Field
- 6/19 - Toronto, ON @ Skydome
- 6/22 - Cleveland, OH @ Browns Stadium
- 6/24 - Minneapolis, MN @ Metrodome
- 6/26 - Milwaukee, WI @ Miller Park
- 6/30 - Detroit, MI @ Comercia Park
- 7/2 - St. Louis, MO @ Trans World Dome
- 7/4 - Little Rock, AR @ War Memorial Stadium
- 7/6 - Houston, TX @ Reliant Astrodome
- 7/8 - Dallas, TX @ Texas Stadium
- 7/10 - Kansas City, MO @ Arrowhead Stadium
- 7/13 - Denver, CO @ Mile High Stadium
- 7/16 - San Diego, CA @ Qualcomm Stadium
- 7/18 - Scottsdale, AZ @ Bank One Ballpark
- 7/21 - Oakland, CA @ Network Associates Coliseum
- 7/24 - Pasadena, CA @ Rose Bowl
- 7/27 - Las Vegas, NV @ Sam Boyd Stadium
- 7/31 - Tampa, FL @ Raymond James Stadium
- 8/2 - Miami, FL @ Pro Player Stadium
- 8/5 - San Antonio, TX @ Alamodome
- 8/7 - Birmingham, AL @ Legion Field
- 8/9 - Louisville, KY @ Cardinal Stadium
- 8/11 - Atlanta, GA @ Georgia Dome
- 8/13 - Washington, DC @ RFK Stadium
- 8/16 - Indianapolis, IN @ RCA Dome
- 8/18 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Steeler Stadium
- 8/22 - New Orleans, LA @ Louisiana Superdome