Camille Yarbrough's jazzy "Take Yo' Praise," the centerpiece sample in Fatboy Slim's "Praise You," is one of 16 tracks being released in a revealing compilation called A Break From the Norm.
A play on the English DJ's real name, Norman Cook, the compilation collects the original songs the DJ sampled to create such hits as "Going Out of My Head" and "The Rockafeller Skank."
Due June 5 in the U.S. on Restless Records and April 30 in the U.K. on Gut Records, A Break From the Norm features artists ranging from '60s Scottish singer Lulu to "Lean on Me" legend Bill Withers.
A Break From the Norm includes liner notes written by Fatboy Slim, who notes that tracks are enjoyable on their own merit "rather than just the 'oh, that's where he got that bit from' syndrome."
"It is a joy to see these people, who I have sometimes cruelly repositioned in my records, finally getting exposure in their pure form," the DJ wrote. "Particularly the tunes contained here by Camille, Bill Withers and the Just Brothers all favorites in the Cook household for many years. Some I only discovered while sample trawling, though my record collection is all the richer for them now."
Fatboy Slim released his latest video, "Weapon of Choice," featuring Christopher Walken, last week (see [article id="1442053"]"Fatboy Slim, Spike Jonze Team Up Again For Video"[/article]). He will perform at the Coachella Festival in Indio, California, on April 28.
A Break From the Norm track listing, according to Gut Records:
- Camille Yarbrough, "Take Yo' Praise" (sampled in "Praise You")
- Lulu, "Love Loves to Love Love" (sampled in "Santa Cruz")
- Ellen McIlwaine, "Higher Ground" (sampled in "Song for Lindy")
- Stik E & the Hoodz, "Shake Whatcha Mama Gave Ya" (sampled in "Ya Mama")
- Bill Withers, "I Can't Write Left Handed" (sampled in "Demons")
- Yvonne Elliman, "I Can't Explain" (sampled in "Going Out Of My Head")
- Doug Lazy, "Let the Rhythm Pump" (sampled in "Ya Mama")
- Dust Junkys, "Beatbox Wash (Rinse It Remix)" (sampled in "Gangsta Tripping")
- Just Brothers, "Sliced Tomatoes" (sampled in "The Rockafeller Skank")
- Keith Mansfield, "Young Scene" (sampled in "Punk to Funk")
- Andre Williams, "Humpin', Bumpin' & Thumpin' " (sampled in "Sho Nuff")
- The Olympics, "I'll Do a Little Bit More" (sampled in "Soul Surfing")
- Leo Muller, "The Acid Test" (sampled in "Build It Up, Tear It Down")
- The John Barry Seven, "Beat Girl" (sampled in "The Rockafeller Skank")
- Colosseum, "The Kettle" (sampled in "Ya Mama")
- The James Gang, "Ashes the Rain & I" (sampled in "Right Here, Right Now")