Television Host Suing Puffy Over Alleged 1999 Attack

Legal woes continue for rapper who was acquitted of weapons, bribery charges last week.

Puffy's legal troubles just won't quit. Now a Michigan syndicated television host is suing the hip-hop mogul, claiming he was attacked by members of Puffy's entourage after a 1999 interview with the rapper.

Roger Mills claims assault, false imprisonment, destruction of property, intentional infliction of emotional distress and civil conspiracy in his lawsuit, filed Thursday in Wayne County Circuit Court, according to the Associated Press. Bad Boy Entertainment, several of Sean "Puffy" Combs' representatives and Detroit radio station WCHB-FM are also named as defendants in the suit.

Mills' attorney, Hugh Davis, told the AP that his client asked Combs in an August 1999 interview to comment on allegations that he contributed to the 1997 shooting death of Bad Boy rapper Notorious B.I.G. Combs took "immediate and extreme umbrage" and ended the interview, Davis reportedly said.

One of Combs' representatives, who is named in the suit, asked Mills if he would sell her the videotape of the interview, and Mills refused, according to the lawyer. As Mills attempted to leave, members of Combs' entourage approached him and attacked him, twisting his neck and injuring his shoulder, Davis said.

"They demanded the tape be turned over. He declined, and they physically took it from him and apparently destroyed the camera."

Detroit police said Friday (March 23) that they investigated the alleged incident but made no arrests.

"As we have yet to be served with this complaint, we are unable to comment on specific allegations,'' Combs spokesperson Nathalie Moar said in a statement quoted by the AP. "However, any claim that Mr. Combs participated in any wrongdoing is totally false. Furthermore, facilitating the press with this baseless complaint is a blatant attempt to exploit Mr. Combs' celebrity for media attention."

Mills and his previous lawyer sought an apology to resolve the matter but never received one, Davis told the AP.

Representatives for Bad Boy issued a statement saying they had not seen the lawsuit and had no comment. A spokesperson for WCHB could not be reached by press time.

The filing of Mills' lawsuit was delayed by Combs' trial in New York, Davis said. The rapper was acquitted last week of gun possession and bribery charges stemming from a December 1999 nightclub shooting that injured three people.

(Click HERE for a complete explanation of the charges in the case. Click HERE our complete trial coverage.)