NASHVILLE BR5-49 have opened concerts for the likes of Bob Dylan and the Black Crowes, but now the alt-country favorites are trying a different tack by joining such country superstars as George Strait and Alan Jackson on Strait's annual country music festival.
"The best thing for us out of this will be to be in front of more of a mainstream country crowd than we usually see," the group's Gary Bennett said. "George is the most established country artist today, and probably has the most fans, so it'll be great for us."
Their next album, he said, will be a little different too not commercial but not anti-commercial, either. They're recording with Dixie Chicks producer Paul Worley, and Bennett said the result may surprise some people. The group has recorded the Everly Brothers 1965 single "The Price of Love" (RealAudio excerpt of original), and it will probably be the first single off the upcoming disc.
"I think this record will have the most potential for pleasing a lot of people than anything we've done," Bennett said. "There were times earlier when we were a little too staunch. It wouldn't have hurt us to work with [the record label] a little. We feel like we have a better shot this time. We just have to give them a little more to work with."
He said that for the album's photo shoot the sartorially distinct group made one commercial concession. "We had an image consultant. She came to our houses and went through all of our clothes and went and bought more for us."
The group's tour kicked off March 21 in Jacksonville, Florida. They'll hook up with the Strait tour on Saturday at Raymond James Stadium in Tampa, Florida, and they'll wind their solo tour around the Strait dates.
BR5-49 tour dates as provided by their publicist:
- 3/22 - Orlando, FL @ Sapphire Supper Club
- 3/23 - Tallahassee, FL @ Cow Haus
- 3/24 - Tampa, FL @ Raymond James Stadium*
- 3/25 - Miami, FL @ Mars Music Amphitheater*
- 3/30 - Salt Lake City, UT @ The Westerner*
- 3/31 - Phoenix, AZ @ Sun Devil Stadium*
- 4/1 - Las Vegas, NV @ Las Vegas Motor Speedway*
- 4/7 - New Orleans, LA @ Superdome*
- 4/8 - Little Rock, AR @ War Memorial Stadium*
- 4/20 - Birmingham, AL @ Zydeco
- 4/21 - Columbia, SC @ Williams-Brice Stadium*
- 4/22 - Atlanta, GA @ Turner Field*
- 5/2 - Anaheim, CA @ House of Blues
- 5/3 - West Hollywood, CA @ Key Club
- 5/5 - Las Vegas, NV @ Riviera Hotel & Casino
- 5/12 - Kansas City, KS @ Arrowhead Stadium*
- 5/13 - St. Louis, MO @ TWA Dome*
- 5/18 - Neenah, WI @ Automatic Slim's
- 5/19 - Milwaukee, WI @ Miller Field*
- 5/20 - Minneapolis, MN @ Metrodome*
- 5/24 - Cleveland, OH @ Beachland Ballroom & Tavern
- 5/25 - Indianapolis, IN @ 8 Seconds Saloon
- 5/26 - Joliet, IL @ Route 66 Raceway*
- 5/27 - Louisville, KY @ Papa John's Cardinal* Stadium
- 6/7 - Houston, TX @ Fitzgeralds
- 6/8 - New Braunfels, TX @ Gruene Hall
- 6/9 - San Antonio, TX @ Alamodome*
- 6/10 - Dallas, TX @ Texas Stadium*
- 7/9 - Calgary, AB @ Calgary Stampede
- 8/2 - Camrose, AB @ Big Valley Jamboree
*George Strait Country Music Festival dates