Cedric “K-Ci” Hailey’s alleged indecent exposure incident may be “dead as stink” in his eyes, but criminal and civil charges are still pending against the K-Ci & JoJo singer.
At Monday’s Soul Train Awards, Hailey spoke about the accusations for the first time, saying, “If y’all know K-Ci, y’all know K-Ci didn’t do it.” The ceremony was his first public appearance since the December 16 concert at Los Angeles’ Shrine Auditorium, where he allegedly exposed his genitals and then fled the scene.
“All I can say is, any listeners know I wouldn’t do nothing vulgar like that in front of kids, because I have children myself an 8-year-old and a 2-year-old. I would not allow my child to see anything like that. But that’s dead as stink now. I don’t even think about it no more.”
Hailey was charged with indecent exposure, a misdemeanor, after several families stormed out of KIIS-FM’s annual Jingle Ball and told officers on patrol that the singer “grabbed himself at different stages of erection,” according to police records.
One of those families, Robert and Robin Garcia and their teenage daughter, Rachel, of Anaheim, California, later sued Hailey for nuisance, infliction of emotional distress and negligence. The Garcia family’s lawyer did not return phone calls, but a clerk at the Los Angeles Superior Court, where the suit was filed, said no date has been set for the case.
As for the criminal charges, the Los Angeles Police Department is still investigating the incident and Hailey has not yet been arraigned. A spokesperson for the LAPD said officials were having trouble confiscating videotape of the K-Ci & JoJo performance.
Hailey and JoJo (brother Joel Hailey), who released the K-Ci and JoJo album X last year, are working on a new album with their original group, Jodeci.