After a brief U.S. jaunt last November, acclaimed British singer/songwriter Badly Drawn Boy will return to the States in April for a monthlong North American tour.
Badly Drawn Boy (known to his mum as Damon Gough) will be heading out in support of his solo debut, The Hour of Bewilderbeast, which has sold more than 46,000 copies in the States since its October release here, according to SoundScan.
The album won the U.K.'s 2000 Mercury Music Prize in September, beating out such competition as Coldplay's Parachutes, Doves' Lost Souls and former Verve frontman Richard Ashcroft's first solo album, Alone With Everybody, among others (see "Badly Drawn Boy Draws 2000 Mercury Music Prize").
Gough has also been nominated for a 2001 Brit Award in the British Male Solo Artist category, where he is up against the likes of Craig David, Robbie Williams, David Gray and Fatboy Slim. The Brit Awards, widely regarded as the U.K. equivalent of the Grammys, will be handed out on Monday during a ceremony at London's Earls Court.
Dates for Badly Drawn Boy's spring North American tour, as provided by his publicist:
- 4/26 - Montreal, QC @ Club Soda
- 4/27 - Toronto, ON @ Opera House
- 4/28 - Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews
- 4/30 - Boston, MA @ Avalon
- 5/1 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 5/2 - Philadelphia, PA @ Theatre of Living Arts
- 5/3 - Washington, DC @ 9:30 Club
- 5/5 - Atlanta, GA @ Cotton Club
- 5/6 - Chicago, IL @ Metro
- 5/7 - Minneapolis, MN @ Fine Line
- 5/9 - Denver, CO @ Bluebird
- 5/10 - TBA
- 5/11 - TBA
- 5/14 - Vancouver, BC @ Commodore
- 5/15 - Seattle, WA @ Showbox
- 5/16 - Portland, OR @ Berbati's Pan
- 5/18 - San Francisco, CA @ Fillmore
- 5/19 - TBA
- 5/20 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey
- 5/21 - Los Angeles, CA @ El Rey