Art-rock trio Blonde Redhead will replace Grandaddy at the 2001 Noise Pop San Francisco music fest, as the latter band has withdrawn because of frontman Jason Lytle's recurring knee problem, according to the event's publicist.
Blonde Redhead will now join Superchunk, Jimmy Eat World, Creeper Lagoon, Girls Against Boys, Mark Eitzel, the Minus 5 and Damien Jurado for Noise Pop SF, which will feature more than 60 acts performing at six Frisco clubs between February 27 and March 4.
Other artists confirmed for Noise Pop include Beulah, Spoon, Zen Guerrilla, Pedro the Lion, Alien Crime Syndicate, Holly Golightly, Jet Black Crayon and the Preston School of Industry, which features ex-Pavement guitarist Scott "Spiral Stairs" Kannberg.
As for Grandaddy, the Modesto, California, band wrapped up its U.K. tour in London on Wednesday (February 7), after which Lytle plans to take the next two months off to rest his ailing knee, according to a publicist for Noise Pop.
During the break, Grandaddy guitarist Jim Fairchild and drummer Aaron Burtch will join Giant Sand for that group's European tour with PJ Harvey, an outing that is slated for February 25 through March 14 and overlaps the dates for Noise Pop SF.
Despite Grandaddy's absence, several of this year's Noise Pop bands are gearing up for their first opportunity to play the indie-rock festival.
"It's gonna be wild," Spoon frontman Britt Daniel said of the annual fest, first held in 1993. "I love how at the Noise Pop festival, unlike some other music festivals, they actually pay the bands."
One of the busiest performers at Noise Pop SF will be Scott McCaughey, who will pull double duty on March 3 to play separate sets with both his primary group, the Young Fresh Fellows, as well as his side project, the Minus 5, which features R.E.M. guitarist Peter Buck.
"This will be the first Noise Pop appearance for the Young Fresh Fellows," McCaughey said, "though we've been asked a number of times before. I hate saying no, so saying yes was very fulfilling. I expect lots of fanfare and pageantry as the band struts up onto the hallowed Bottom of the Hill stage, carrying me in a large tub of whiskey."
"I am looking forward to seeing how many people will be at the show," singer/songwriter Jurado, also making his Noise Pop debut, said. "The last time I was [in San Francisco], I played to a packed crowd at Bottom of the Hill, and a friend of mine said that it was rare that anyone packs the place."
For the second consecutive year, 2001 Noise Pop SF will also encompass a film festival, a roster and screening schedule for which is still being hammered out.
Passes for the 2001 Noise Pop SF are available for $100 through TicketWeb, and include entrance to any and all shows and films, as well as the Noise Pop Educational Series of guest speakers.
Shortly after wrapping this year's edition of Noise Pop SF, organizers will turn their focus to planning and lining up artists for a Noise Pop Chicago festival, set for May 913.
Performers and venues for the 2001 Noise Pop SF, as provided by the event's reps:
- Beulah, Mates of State, Call and Response and From Bubblegum to Sky @
Bottom of the Hill
- Jimmy Eat World, Creeper Lagoon, Carlos @ Great American Music Hall
- 764-Hero, Kingsbury Manx, Stratford 4 and the Papercuts @ Bottom of the
- Devil in the Woods Party with Preston School of Industry, Cole Marquis and
Aaron Nudelman @ The Make Out Room
- Zen Guerrilla, BellRays, Icarus Line, and 7th Standard @ Slim's
- Pedro the Lion, Starflyer 59, Jim Yoshii Pile-Up and Pinq @ Bottom of the
- Crooked Fingers, Damien Jurado and John Vanderslice @ Café Du Nord
- Bright Eyes, Mark Eitzel, Track Star and Azure Ray @ Great American Music
- Tarentel, the Court and Spark and the Church Steps @ Café Du Nord
- Girls Against Boys, the Pattern, Alien Crime Syndicate and Pocket for
Corduroy @ Bottom of the Hill
- The Aislers Set, the Shins, the Orange Peels and Henry Miller Sextet @
Bottom of the Hill (early show)
- Oranger, Fiver, Persephone's Bees and Jolly @ Café Du Nord
- White Stripes, Holly Golightly, Vue and Lost Kids @ Great American Music
- Superchunk, Spoon, Matt Suggs and Actionslacks @ Bimbo's 365 Club
- Fastbacks, Young Fresh Fellows, Minus 5 and Me First @ Bottom of the Hill
- Sunday's Best, onelinedrawing, the Good Life and Droo Church @ Bottom of the Hill
- Blonde Redhead, Pleasure Forever, Saint Andre and Jet Black Crayon @
Bimbo's 365 Club