Booty-shakin' specialists DJ Assault and the Detroit Grand Pubahs are comin' from "tha D" (a.k.a. Detroit) to a city near you.
Together, the ghetto-tech architect and the men behind the club smash "Sandwiches" will launch a 19-city U.S. tour February 7 in Ann Arbor, Michigan, in support of the compilation Comin' From Tha D: Blueprint, which is due February 27 on the independent Detroit label Intuit-Solar.
The album highlights the many subgenres of techno manufactured in its Motor City birthplace with tracks by 16 artists, including Assault's "Hoes," DJ Godfather's "Whatchulookinat," electro newcomers Le Car's "Fony," experimental veterans Dopplereffekt's "Pornoactress" and the new Pubahs cut "Snow Was Black." Paris The Black Fu, the duo's madcap vocalist, also contributes a solo track, "Fogdust Vs. Detroit."
Assault will DJ on all of the dates on the Comin' From Tha D tour, which include two shows at the Winter Music Conference in Miami Beach, Florida, while the Pu-bahs will miss two nights, with Detroit abstract-techno producer Sean Deason added on two.
Assault, whose 2000 mix-CD Off the Chain for the Y2K garnered critical acclaim (and much jiggling of body parts), specializes in short, dirty dance ditties. Off the Chain features 83 tracks in just over an hour, with titles such as his anthem, "Ass-N-T---ies," "Big Booty Bitch," "Pop That Ass" and "Bend Over."
The Detroit Grand Pubahs, which also includes Andy Toft (a.k.a. Doctor Toefinger), laid claim to one of the biggest club hits of the last two years with "Sandwiches," a funky electro track with the irresistible refrain, "You can be the bun/ And I can be the burger, girl / And we can make sandwiches."
"Andy and I knew we had something special in the studio," Fu said last year. "We didn't think it would go this far, but we were just laughing to ourselves at how crazy it was. We were laughing about how people were going to react to it and think we were crazy."
The Pu-bahs are currently in a Detroit studio working on their debut album, according to a spokesperson for the duo's label, Jive Electro. The project is slated for a May release.
Comin' From Tha D tour dates, according to the tour's spokesperson:
- 2/7 - Ann Arbor, MI @ The Blind Pig (with Sean Deason)
- 2/10 - St. Louis, MO @ The Aloha Skate Island
- 2/15 - Las Vegas, NV @ Baby's
- 2/22 - New York, NY @ Speeed
- 3/2 - Houston, TX @ Connection 2000
- 3/3 - Lawrence, KS @ Granada
- 3/8 - Rochester, NY @ Red Social Lounge
- 3/9 - Smyrna, TN @ the Palladium (without Detroit Grand Pubahs)
- 3/13 - Los Angeles, CA @ Fais Do Do
- 3/15 - San Francisco, CA @ Bas
- 3/16 - Seattle, WA @ Nation/I-Spy
- 3/17 - Eugene, OR @ TBA
- 3/21 - Boston, MA @ Phoenix Landing
- 3/23 - New Hampshire @ TBA
- 3/24 - Miami, FL @ Krave (without Detroit Grand Pubahs)
- 3/25 - Miami, FL @ Intuit-Solar party
- 3/30 - Chicago, IL @ TBA
- 3/31 - Indianapolis, IN @ TBA (with Sean Deason)
- 4/6 - Traverse City, MI @ TBA