Shyne Trial Delays Jay-Z's Day In Court

Rappers share same lawyer, so stabbing case will be put off for two months.

NEW YORK — Jay-Z's trial on assault charges stemming from the stabbing of a music executive will be delayed by his lawyer's involvement in the high-profile nightclub shootings case of Jamal "Shyne" Barrow.

The stabbing trial had been scheduled to start in February but will be delayed about two months, attorney Murray Richman said Tuesday as he left Manhattan Supreme Court, where he is defending Shyne against charges of attempted murder, assault, reckless endangerment and weapons possession.

Prosecutors in the Jay-Z case have already agreed to the delay, Richman said, and it will be officially requested during a February 14 hearing.

The stabbing occurred December 1, 1999, at Manhattan's Kit Kat Club during a party celebrating the release of Q-Tip's solo debut, Amplified (see "Jay-Z Turns Himself In To Police For Questioning, Denies Involvement In Stabbing"). Just before midnight, Lance "Un" Rivera was stabbed once in abdomen and once in the shoulder. After spending the night at St. Vincent's Hospital, he was released in stable condition the next day.

Jay-Z (born Shawn Carter) turned himself in to police for questioning on the evening of December 2, 1999, and was arrested and charged with felony assault in the second degree (see "Jay-Z Charged With Felony Assault, Lawyer Maintains Rapper's Innocence").

While maintaining his innocence throughout the ordeal, the rapper was indicted by a grand jury on two counts of attempted assault in January 2000 (see "Jay-Z Faces Assault Charges In Stabbing"), and he pled not guilty to the charges at an arraignment hearing the following month (see "Jay-Z Pleads Not Guilty To Assault Charge").