Unified Theory, the Los Angeles foursome featuring former Blind Melon guitarist Christopher Thorn and bassist Brad Smith, will embark on a 12-city North American tour in February to support their dark new single, "Wither."
The group, which also includes singer Chris Shinn and former Pearl Jam and Candlebox drummer Dave Krusen, released their self-titled debut album last fall and toured with Counting Crows, Live and VAST to promote it.
Now headlining their own shows, Unified Theory will hit mostly Western cities, kicking off February 12 in Santa Cruz, California, and ending March 1 in San Diego.
"Wither," the follow-up to "California," centers on drug abuse, though the band said in a press release it is not about former Blind Melon singer Shannon Hoon, who died of a drug overdose in 1995.
"The song was poignantly inspired by a friend who was going down the same path as Shannon, but it's not directly about Shannon," Smith said. "The message is quite haunting. Living your life around hard drugs is a dead end ... sometimes literally."
" 'Wither' is about watching someone you love slowly hit their personal bottom and not being able to help in his or her path," Shinn added.
The song was released to radio earlier this month and is available in streaming format on Unified Theory's official Web site.
Unified Theory's tour dates, according to the band's spokesperson:
- 2/12 - Santa Cruz, CA @ Palookaville
- 2/14 - Portland, OR @ Roseland Grill
- 2/15 - Seattle, WA @ Showbox
- 2/16 - Spokane, WA @ Ichabod's
- 2/17 - Vancouver, BC @ Richards on Richards
- 2/19 - Boise, ID @ Big Easy
- 2/21 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Liquid Joes
- 2/23 - Denver, CO @ Soiled Dove
- 2/26 - Albuquerque, NM @ Launch Pad
- 2/27 - Phoenix, AZ @ Big Fish Pub
- 2/28 - Los Angeles, CA @ Troubadour
- 3/1 - San Diego, CA @ Brick by Brick