The Dead Kennedys will be coming back to life sort of in the wake of a December court ruling that upheld an earlier judgment that former frontman Jello Biafra must share control over the group's catalog with his former bandmates.
The other members of the influential hardcore group plan to begin releasing new live albums, home videos and remastered versions of original releases culled from more than 60 hours of unreleased live tapes.
Previously unheard material will start becoming available as early as the spring, according to a statement released by the group, minus Biafra.
"There's a whole generation of kids who are into the band but never saw us live," D.H. Peligro, the band's former drummer, said in the statement. "It's about laying it down for the people."
A jury ruled in May that Biafra must pay $200,000 in damages to his former bandmates, who had sued him for allegedly failing to promote the group's back catalog and for allegedly failing to pay back royalties. A San Francisco Superior Court judge upheld that decision December 22.
Biafra will have a vote in all future band decisions, but the group will be run as a democracy, the bandmembers said in their statement.
The members' partnership, Decay Music, is in talks with several labels about releasing the new material.
A spokesperson for Biafra, who has said he doesn't plan to be involved in any re-release of the band's catalog, could not be reached for comment at press time.