Let’s get ready to grumble…
After two years away from the road, Type O Negative will pack up its dark, dense sounds for a U.S. tour that kicks off next month.
While the band will play a one-off benefit show with Megadeth in New York on September 1, Type O won’t begin touring in earnest until September 29 in Cleveland.
The outing will see the band drumming up support for its upcoming “World Coming Down” (which hits stores on September 24), an album that the band promises will mark a departure from the lush production found on 1996′s “October Rust.”
“I think it’s back-to-basics hard rock,” keyboardist Josh Silver told MTV News during a visit to the band’s Brooklyn studio.
“A smaller budget is what he’s trying to say,” frontman Peter Steele joked.
“[The scaled-back production] was planned when I was writing the songs,
because it’s more riff-oriented, whereas on ‘October Rust’ it was more lush and more chord-oriented,” Steele added. “We wanted to go back to our roots a little bit, which is like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Kiss, the Beatles, the Doors, the band’s main influences. On ‘October Rust,’ we had used a total of 56 tracks, and on this album we used 24, so it’s substantially less sonic input, but at the same time it gives the instruments more of a personality, because it’s not so layered.” [RealVideo]
If you want to hear how the new sounds shape up on stage, here’s where to catch the band:
- 9/29 – Cleveland, OH @ Odeon
- 10/1 – Detroit, MI @ St Andrews Hall
- 10/2 – Toledo, OH @ Main Event
- 10/4 – Chicago, IL @ Metro
- 10/5 – Milwaukee, WI @ The Rave
- 10/6 – Minneapolis, MN @ The Quest
- 10/8 – Denver, CO @ Ogden Theatre
- 10/9 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Club DV8
- 10/14 – San Francisco, CA @ Maritime Hall
- 10/15 – Hollywood, CA @ The
- 10/16 – Las Vegas, NV @ Huntridge Theater
- 10/20 – Dallas, TX @ Deep Ellum Live
- 10/21 – Houston, TX @ Numbers
- 10/23 – Memphis, TN @ New Daisy Theatre
- 10/26 – Washington, DC @ The 9:30 Club
- 10/29 – New York, NY @ Roseland Ballroom
- 10/30 – Boston, MA @ Avalon
- 10/31 – Philadelphia, PA @ The Trocadero