After wowing audiences at a New York City showcase in June, the French band Tahiti 80 has just confirmed dates for its first North American tour, scheduled to kick off on September 1 in Los Angeles.
The Tahiti 80 outing stretches through an October 8 gig in San Diego, although more dates are likely to be added in the next few weeks, according to an itinerary posted online by the band's label, Minty Fresh.
Tahiti 80 will take its carefully constructed pop songs out on the highways and byways of North America to support its first full-length album, "Puzzle," which has a lead single, "Heartbeat," currently drawing heavy rotation on college radio.
The video has just been added to MTV2, and Tahiti 80 frontman Xavier Boyer and guitarist Médéric Gontier recently talked to MTV News about the colorful "Heartbeat" clip, which reteamed the band with artist Laurent Fétis, who provided the cover art for "Puzzle."
[shot the video] two times," Gontier said.
"We started to work on it with Laurent Fétis," Gontier continued, "the guy who did the artwork [for the album]. He did [images like] that for the video. You can see us playing in front of a big screen where you have black-and-white pictures projected."
black-and-white pictures -- "
you have a girl and a boy who look like the cover," Gontier interjected.
"Yeah, it's supposed to look like the characters on the cover of the album," Boyer said. "We shot it first in Paris, then we went to Belgium to do [the other half], because we had to shoot it in front of a big, big screen that you use for festivals."
Like "Heartbeat," most of the songs on "Puzzle" are succinct slices of New Wave-ish pop that clock in around three or four minutes, but in concert the band has been known to stretch out some songs into 15-minute bump and grinders.
do have a fifth [touring] member
onstage, a trumpet player who can play keyboards, so we try to use the same arrangements. But onstage, some songs can last 15 or 10 minutes. A song like 'Revolution 80,' it's four minutes long on the album, but onstage we can make a 10 or 15 minute version that's very psychedelic." [RealAudio]
Dates where you can catch Tahiti 80 on its upcoming North American tour:
- 9/1 - Los Angeles, CA @ Troubadour
- 9/2 - San Francisco, CA @ The Cellar - Johnny Foley's
- 9/4 - Portland, OR @ Satyricon
- 9/5 - Vancouver, BC @ Sonar
- 9/6 - Seattle, WA @ Crocodile Cafe
- 9/9 - Minneapolis, MN @ 400 Bar
- 9/10 - Chicago, IL @ Schuba's
- 9/11 - Newport, KY @ Southgate House
- 9/12 - Detroit, MI @ Shelter
- 9/13 - Toronto, ON @ Lee's Palace
- 9/14 - Montreal, QC @ Cafe Campus
- 9/16 - Cambridge, MA @ TT The Bear's (w/ Papas Fritas)
- 9/18 - New York, NY @ Mercury Lounge
- 9/19 - Philadelphia, PA @ North Star Bar
- 9/21 - Baltimore, MD @ Fletcher's
- 9/22 - Plainview, NY @ Vanderbilt
- 9/24 - Atlanta, GA @ Smith's Olde Bar
- 9/27 - Austin, TX @ Emo's
- 9/28 - Dallas, TX @ Club Clearview
- 10/5 - Salt Lake City, UT @ Zephyr Club
- 10/7 - Tempe, AZ @ Nita's Hideaway
- 10/8 - San Diego, CA @ Epicenter