With sales of its critically hailed new album, "The Rising Tide," approaching the 50,000 mark, Seattle's leading emocore outfit, Sunny Day Real Estate, will kick off its fall tour on Tuesday night with a gig in Santa Cruz, California.
During the spring and summer "Rising Tide" shows, Sunny Day Real Estate played some of the longest sets in its eight-year career, with most shows clocking in around an hour and 20 minutes, a far cry from some of the brief concerts the group would perform during its fledgling years.
"We started out doing six [songs] and no encore," guitarist Dan Hoerner told MTV Radio. "No matter how much [audiences] freaked and no matter what they did, we wouldn't come back out."
only play for a half an hour,"
added drummer William Goldsmith.
"We'd play six songs," Hoerner continued, "and most of the time would be spent tuning our guitars."
Audience response to recent Sunny Day Real Estate concerts should easily bolster the group's sense of well-being, as the band has been playing to fervent, sold-out crowds that Hoerner thinks are some of their most attentive and energetic to date.
a very different
kind of audience," Hoerner said. "It's a very different kind of crowd. Sunny Day has a really unique following. They don't beat the sh** out of each other --"
"And that's really cool," Goldsmith interjected.
"And they don't show their t**s," Hoerner noted. "They come to watch us play and love it and be into the music. There's something about having 1,500 kids riveting their attention on you. I say 'kids,' but we have a very wide range in our audiences. That's just kind of my generic term for 'audience.' But yeah, the intensity of the energy and the focus of the crowd is incredible this time [around]." [RealAudio]
Dates where you can see
Sunny Day Real Estate over the next few weeks:
- 9/26 - Santa Cruz, CA @ The Catalyst
- 9/27 - Sacramento, CA @ Crest Theater
- 9/29 - Los Angeles, CA @ John Anson Ford Theater
- 9/30 - Pomona, CA @ Glass House
- 10/1 - Las Vegas, NV @ Sanctuary
- 10/3 - Denver, CO @ Gothic Theater
- 10/5 - Columbia, SC @ The Blue Note
- 10/6 - Memphis, TN @ Omni New Daisy
- 10/7 - Nashville, TN @ 328 Music Hall
- 10/9 - Columbia, SC @ Elbow Room
- 10/10 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremonts
- 10/12 - Norfolk, VA @ Norva
- 10/13 - Charlottesville, VA @ Trax
- 10/15 - Baltimore, MD @ Recher Theater
- 10/16 - Old Bridge, NJ @ Birch Hill
- 10/17 - New Haven, CT @ Toad's Place
- 10/18 - Providence, RI @ Lupos
- 10/20 - Boston, MA @ The Middle East
- 10/21 - Rochester, NY @ Water St.
- 10/23 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Metropol
- 10/24 - Cincinnati, OH @ Bogarts
- 10/25 - Columbus, OH @ Newport Music Hall
- 10/27 - Grand Rapids, MI @ Calvin College
- 10/28 - Chicago, IL @
- 10/29 - Urbana, IL @ The Canopy
- 10/31 - Madison, WI @ Barrymore Theater
- 11/1 - Iowa City, IA @ Union Bar
- 11/2 - Lincoln, NE @ Knickerbockers