With band frontman Scott Weiland firmly back in the fold, the Stone Temple Pilots will head out on tour next week for a round of festival dates and headlining shows, beginning on May 20 in Las Vegas.
The gigs will give the Pilots their first real extended chance to promote the "No. 4" record on the road, as Weiland was in the midst of a court-ordered stay at the Los Angeles County Jail's Biscailuv Recovery Center (part of Los Angeles County's Men's Central Jail System) when the album was released last October.
The month's worth of shows will also provide the band to road test its material before hooking up with the Red Hot Chili Peppers for a summer tour that kicks off on July 30 in Saratoga Springs, New York (see "Chili Peppers Add Tour Dates With STP, Fishbone").
Despite the recent lack of live gigs, Stone Temple Pilots have actually recorded a wealth of material from their previous tours, and there
has even been brief talk about possibly compiling a concert record at some point.
"I think that would really epitomize what the band's about," bassist Robert DeLeo told the MTV Radio Network about a potential live album. "I think it's something that we'll probably do, but we're certainly not the type of band that goes back in and fixes things and touches things up. We like to capture the moment, and we've been really critical of ourselves. So I guess it's just a matter of catching the right moment."
"We have a couple in the can that we can put out right now that we're really proud of," Weiland added. "The last few shows that we've done, we've recorded. I don't think we recorded the one at [New York's] Irving Plaza, but we recorded the show in Vegas the night before I went to jail, and we have that
in our library, which is amazing." [RealAudio]
"There's some stuff that I came across recently," continued guitarist Dean DeLeo. "We're going to go back a little ways now, but when we were on tour with Megadeth in '92 and "Plush" was just starting to hit, we rolled tape at a lot of those shows, and I don't know if you guys have ever heard that stuff, but there were literally just two mics out in front of the house and those recordings were really great." [RealAudio]
Dates you can catch Stone Temple Pilots prior to joining the Red Hot Chili Peppers tour:
- 5/20 - Las Vegas, NV @ Sam Boyd Stadium
- 5/26 - Somerset, WI @ Float Rite Park
- 5/27 - Boston, MA @ Foxboro Stadium
- 5/28 - Landover, MD @ FedEx Field
- 5/29 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Star Lake
- 5/31 - Atlanta,
GA @ Tabernacle
- 6/2 - Oklahoma City, OK @ AllSport Stadium
- 6/3 - Kansas City, MO @ Sandstone Amphitheater
- 6/4 - Omaha, NE @ Westfair Amphitheater
- 6/6 - Dallas, TX @ Bronco Bowl
- 6/8 - Houston, TX @ Aerial Theater at Bayou Place
- 6/10 - Sacramento, CA @ Sacramento Valley Amphitheater
- 6/14 - Santa Barbara, CA @ Santa Barbara Bowl
- 6/16 - Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheater
- 6/17 - Anaheim, CA @ Edison Field
- 6/19 - San Diego, CA @ Mar Fair
- 6/23 - Garden State, NJ @ PNC Garden State
- 6/27 - Hershey, PA @ Star Pavilion
- 6/28 - Camden, NJ @ Entertainment Center