Run-DMC has signed on to headline an “old school” rap mini-tour, dubbed the Hip-Hop 20th Anniversary Fresh Fest, which will also feature performances from such seminal acts as the Sugar Hill Gang, Grandmaster Melle Mel, Kurtis Blow, and Whodini.
The Hip-Hop Fresh Fest will kick off a West Coast run on September 10 in Berkeley, then shift to the East Coast at the end of the month for a string of shows, concluding on October 3 in Cleveland.
The groups will be playing the shows to help commemorate the first two decades of hip-hop, a genre which first hit the national consciousness in the summer of ’79, when Sugar Hill Gang’s “Rapper’s Delight” became the first rap single to enter the pop charts.
Dates for the Hip-Hop 20th Anniversary Fresh Fest:
- 9/10 – Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theater
- 9/12 – Universal City, CA @ Universal Amphitheater
- 9/13 – Phoenix, AZ @ Celebrity Theater
- 9/30 – New York, NY @ Hammerstein Ballroom
- 10/1 – Indianapolis,
IN @ Convention Center
- 10/2 – Detroit, MI @ Fox Theater
- 10/3 – Cleveland, OH @ CSU Convocation Center
– David Basham