If pop music is due for an '80s metal revival, those wacky kids in Reel Big Fish will be the first ones to welcome it back with open arms.
The band's video for "The Set Up," the first single off of their upcoming album "Why Do They Rock So Hard" (due October 20), is an homage to the finer points of the glam metal performance clips that thrived during the mid-to-late '80s.
However, when the group stopped by MTV recently, they seemed more impressed by colorful bits of paper than by any of the other headbanging conventions used in the clip.
"There are 70 lbs. of confetti in the video," trumpet player/vocalist Scott Klopfenstein told MTV News. "So when that question comes up on Trivial Pursuit, when they remake it and make new questions, and it says 'How many pounds of confetti were in the Reel Big Fish video for The Set Up?' you can honestly say 70, and be correct. That's no joke."
"We got a smoking mummy head," guitarist/vocalist Aaron Barrett added proudly.
"We've got a giant mummy head that blows smoke, yeah," Klopfenstein elaborated.
"He dies," Klopfenstein added. "Did I mention there was confetti?" [28.8 RealVideo]
The power of 70 lbs. Of confetti was on display Sunday night when "The Set Up" made its debut on "120 Minutes."
If you'd rather see Reel Big Fish in person, here's where you can find them:
- 10/5 - Burlington, VT @ Club Toast
- 10/6 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 10/7 - State College, PA @ Crowbar
- 10/8 - Cleveland, OH @ Odeon Concert Club
- 10/9 - Rochester, NY
@ Institute Of Technology
- 10/10 - Oswego, NY @ SUNY / Oswego
- 10/11 - Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
- 10/13 - Milwaukee, WI @ Rave
- 10/14 - Chicago, IL @ House Of Blues
- 10/15 - St. Louis, MO @ Mississippi Nights
- 10/16 - Tulsa, OK @ Cain's Ballroom
- 10/17 - Austin, TX @ Liberty Lunch
- 10/18 - San Antonio, TX @ White Rabbit
- 10/20 - Las Vegas, NV @ Joint
- 10/21 - Tempe, AZ @ Gibson's
- 10/23 - Hollywood, CA @ Palladium
- 10/31 - Pittsburgh, PA @ Gateway Clipper
- 11/1 - West Palm Beach, FL @ Coral Sky Amphitheatre