Punk visionary and bass player extraordinaire Mike Watt may have ridden out his last album, “Contemplating the Engine Room,” but he’s not exactly taking it easy.
After touring relentlessly behind the 1997 album, Watt has been playing out with Jane Addiction/Porno For Pyros drummer Stephen Perkins in their project Banyan, and with his must-be-seen-to-be-believed Madonna tribute outfit, the Madonnabes.
In a missive sent through his record label, Columbia Records, Watt also says that he has been doing some work on an upcoming studio project from Perkins that includes bassist Rob Wasserman, who has worked with Lou Reed, Neil Young, Brian Wilson, Bob Weir, and others.
Next month, Watt will return to the stage, but this time with his Punk Rock Karaoke, in which he and Bad Religion drummer Greg Hetson, NOFX guitarist Eric Melvin, and Extra Fancy guitarist Derek O’Brian supply music for the fulfillment of audience members punk rock dreams. If you’d like to take the stage with Watt
and friends as your backing band, you better live out west as the tour has a limited range. Here’s where to catch it:
- 2/3 – San Jose, CA @ Club Usual
- 2/5 – La Luna, Portland, Or
- 2/6 – Seattle, WA @ Rckndy
- 2/8 – San Francisco, CA @ Slim’s
- 2/9 – San Jose, CA @ Club Usual
- 2/10 – Sacramento, CA @ Bojangle’s
- 2/11 – W. Hollywood, CA @ Whisky
- 2/12 – San Diego, CA @ Casbah
- 2/13 – Pamona, CA or Santa Ana, CA