As Bob Mould prepares to release his fourth solo album, "The Last Dog and Pony Show," the former Hüsker Dü and Sugar frontman is in the midst of rehearsals for what he's openly calling his final tour with an electric backing band.
For the road show, Mould has enlisted the help of two "Last Dog" veterans -- percussionist Matt Hammon and producer Jim Wilson on bass -- in addition to long-time friend Michael Cerveris on guitar, and Mould says he's looking forward to dusting off some of his lesser known solo material for the "farewell" tour.
"None of us have played together before except me and Matt," Mould told MTV News Online, "so it'll be fun to see what the chemistry is, to see who leads and who follows. I asked them and they all want to play stuff from the solo albums, including some of the harder stuff like off of 'Black Sheets of Rain,' which is perfect with the two guitars, so you can get the full frontal assault stuff."
"And this is gonna be the last
time around for me with an electric band," he added, "I've been doing this for more or less 20 years. So, I think I will stop while I'm slightly ahead, while I still have my voice and hearing intact." [600k QuickTime]
For more on the once and future Bob Mould, check out next week's MTV Online Feature coming on Monday, which will include a transcript and QuickTime clips from the MTV News Online interview with one of the true progenitors of alternative rock.
The dates announced so far for Bob Mould's tour:
- 9/10 - Fargo, ND @ Playmakers Pavilion
- 9/11 - Sioux Falls, SD @ Jeschke Theater
- 9/13 - Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
- 9/14 - Minneapolis, MN @ First Avenue
- 9/15 - Milwaukee, WI @ Rave
- 9/19 - Detroit, MI @ St. Andrews Hall
- 9/20 - Toronto, ONT @ Phoenix Concert Theater
- 9/23 - Northampton, MA @ Pearl Street
- 9/24 - Boston, MA @ Avalon
- 9/25 - New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 9/26 -
New York, NY @ Irving Plaza
- 9/28 - Philadelphia, PA @ Trocadero
- 10/2 - Carrboro, NC @ Cat's Cradle
- 10/7 - Omaha, NE @ Ranch Bowl