The January cover of "Rolling Stone," which is a photo of Marilyn Manson by Matt Mahurin (another photographer turned video director), has won "Best Magazine Cover" in the first annual Alfred Eisenstat Awards for magazine photography.
The awards are given out by the Columbia University School of Journalism, under a grant for "Life" magazine, where photography pioneer Eisenstat spent much of his career.
Currently "Rolling Stone" itself is trotting out thirty years worth of its cover photos, and other memorabilia, in an exhibit that's touring college campuses beginning Tuesday at New York University.
The "Rolling Stone Covers Tour" launched last week with a star-studded party in New York City. The show will be at N.Y.U. Tuesday through Thursday, and then moves to Loyala University in Chicago. See the schedule below for more details.
In addition, "Rolling Stone" is publishing a book that is compiled all 728 of their covers entitled "Rolling Stone: The Complete
Covers." The music magazine's covers have featured such stellar musicians over the years as Mick Jagger (19 covers by himself and with the Rolling Stones) and Bob Dylan (13 covers) to posthumous covers of artists Tupac Shakur, Kurt Cobain, and Jim Morrison.
- Rolling Stone Cover Tour Schedule:
- 1/20-22 New York University New York,NY Leob Student Center
- 1/27-29 Loyola College Chicago,ILL Centennial Forum
- 2/4-6 UCLA Los Angeles,CA Ackerman Grand Ballroom
- 2/10-12 University of California/Berkeley International House: Great Room
- 2/18-20 University Of Colorado Boulder,CO Regal Harvest Center
- 2/24-26 Arizona State University Tempe, AZ South Architecture Building
- 3/3-5 University of Texas at Austin Austin,TX Texas Union Ballroom
- 3/10-12 Georgia Tech Atlanta, GA Student Center Ballroom
- 3/17-19 University of Miami Coral Gables, FLA Whitten University Center
- 3/24-26 University of Michigan Ann
Arbor, MI Michigan Union
- 3/31-4/2 Duke University Durham, NC University Union
- 4/7-9 George Washington University Washington D.C. Convention Center
- 4/13-15 University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA Wm. Pitt Assembly Union
- 4/21-23 University of Maryland College Park, MD Colony Ballroom
- 4/28-30 Penn State University Park, PA Hub Ballroom/Student Center
- 5/4-6 Northeastern University Boston, MA Curry Ballroom/Student Center
- 5/12-14 Ohio State University Columbus, OH Drake Union
- 5/19-21 University of Minnesota Minneapolis, MN Events Conference Center
- 5/26-28 University of Washington Seattle, WA University Union
- 6/1-3 University of California/San Diego La Jolla, CA Price Center