Marcy Playground bassist Dylan Keefe is turning to the band's official website to help himself and others cope with life after the suicide of a loved one.
Keefe, whose father committed suicide three years ago, took to the band's site (at www.marcyplayground.com) to address the issues that he faced after his father's death, and to help direct those who are going though a similar experience to the Suicide Survivor's website. Users who visit the "Links" area of marcyplayground.com will be directed to "Living With Suicide," a site maintained by Dylan's brother John and hosted by PBS that features the writings of those who have lost loved ones to suicide.
"It goes against our very nature. But it is all too common," Dylan writes of suicide on marcyplayground.com. "It shatters too many lives and too many families to sweep it under the table. It should not be any more taboo to talk about my father's death than if he
had died of a heart attack. But somehow it is."
The PBS site (at www.pbs.org/weblab/living) allows visitors to read the thoughts of others who have lost someone close to them through suicide, and also gives users the chance to share their own experiences.
Meanwhile, Dylan and his Marcy Playground mates are currently on the road where they will continue to roll on through the end of October. Here's where they will be:
- 9/13 - Columbia, SC @ Capitol City Stadium
- 9/19 - Brunswick, ME @ Bowdoin College
- 9/21 - Burlington, VT @ Higher Ground
- 9/22 - Montreal, QC @ Le Spectrum
- 9/25 - Blacksburg, VA @ Virginia Tech. University
- 9/26 - New Orleans, LA @ Marconi Meadows
- 9/28 - Lancaster, PA @ Chameleon
- 9/29 - Old Bridge, NJ @ Birch Hill Nite Club
- 9/30 - State College, PA @ Crowbar
- 10/2 - East Stroudsburg, PA @ East Stroudsburg University
- 10/3 - Hartford, CT @ Meadows
- 10/3 - Teaneck, NJ @ Fairleigh Dickenson University
- 10/5 - Charlotte, NC @ Tremont Music Hall
- 10/6 - Myrtle Beach, SC @ House Of Blues
- 10/7 - Athens, GA @ 40 Watt Club
- 10/24 - Colorado Springs, CO @ Air Force Academy
- 10/30 - Kelseyville, CA @ Konocti Harbor Resort