July 29 [16:00 EDT] -- Lollapalooza headliners Korn have pulled out of the summer tour citing the illness of guitarist James "Munky" Schaffer.
Schaffer was initially diagnosed with viral meningitis, but doctors are still caring for the guitarist and a complete diagnosis has yet to be made. The band, which hasn't played a Lolla stop since July 18 in Cleveland, announced that it will not play the remainder of the dates saying "there is no suitable replacement for Munky during his recuperation."
"We love our fans," Korn frontman Jonathan Davis said in a written statement. "This is the last thing we want to do, but it's the only decision to make at this time. It just doesn't feel right without Munky."
A spokesperson for Lollapalooza said the tour is "weighing possibilities and options" in terms of a replacement for Korn. However, the spokesperson said that Lollapalooza "feels it has a great bill, including Snoop, Prodigy, Tool, Orb, and Tircky, as is."
is no word yet on how long Schaffer's recovery could take, but the Korn camp notes that when the guitarist recovers, the band will convene in the studio to record a new album.
Meanwhile, the rest of the Lollapalooza bill will continue, and here's where they'll be:
- 7/29 - Bonner Springs, KS @ Sandstone Amphitheatre
- 7/30 - Maryland Hgts., MO @ Riverport Amphitheatre
- 7/31 - Antioch, TN @ Starwood Amphitheatre
- 8/2 - Dallas, TX @ Starplex Amphitheatre
- 8/3 - Corpus Christi, TX @ Texas Sky Park
- 8/6 - Phoenix, AZ @ Blockbuster Desert Sky Pavilion
- 8/8 - Devore, CA @ G.H. Blockbuster Pavilion
- 8/10 - Englewood, CO @ Fiddler's Green Amph.
- 8/12 - George, WA @ Gorge
- 8/15 - Concord, CA @ Concord Pavilion
- 8/16 - Mountain View, CA @ Shoreline Amphitheatre