May 13 [10:00 EST] -- Hoping to build on its recent Stateside breakthrough, British dance-funk purveyors Jamiroquai launched a North American tour Monday night in Vancouver.
Frontman Jason Kay and the rest of Jamiroquai have created a stir in the States with the smooth genius of their "Virtual Insanity" video, but the group is still searching for the sort of commercial success in this country that it's already found in Europe and Japan.
As Kay recently told MTV News, he is well aware that there is still work to be done here in the U.S.
"I would say it's important. I mean, you're right, some days I couldn't care less. I could not care less," Kay told MTV News. "But, other days I could, because I think it's a challenge to try and get your stuff played. You know, sometimes it's been hard for us, but then again, it's down to the amount of time that you're prepared to spend here... and also down to the material that you've got, and I think the third album we've got
material that's a lot more suited to the radio stations here."
You can sample that material for yourself at the following shows:
- 5/13 - Seattle, WA @ Show Box
- 5/15 - San Francisco, CA @ Warfield
- 5/16 - Los Angeles, CA @ Palladium
- 5/18 - San Diego, CA @ 4th & B
- 5/20 - Denver, CO @ Paramount Theatre
- 5/22 - Fort Worth, TX @ Caravan Of Dreams
- 5/25 - Tinley Park, IL @ New World Music Theatre
- 5/28 - New York, NY @ Roseland
- 5/30 - Philadelphia @ PA @ Electric Factory
- 5/31 - Washington, DC @ RFK Stadium
- 6/2 - Boston, MA @ Harborlights Pavilion