Ice Cube Plans "Friday" Sequel, Readies For "War"

With a new album due in November, another on the way next year, and a slot this fall on the Family Values tour, you'd think Ice Cube would be in a strictly music state of mind these days.

However, the rapper recently told MTV that he has plans for a sequel to his cult comedy hit "Friday." Cube co-wrote and co-starred in the 1995 film, which also featured Chris Tucker, Nia Long, and Tom "Tiny" Lister.

Speaking with our colleagues in the MTV Radio Network, the rapper said that the sequel, titled "Next Friday," will be shooting in the spring, and that the script is already well underway.

"Deebo (Lister) is so mad he wants to kill Craig (Ice Cube), so Craig has to live with his uncle… his crazy-ass uncle," Cube said of the sequel's plot when the Family Values tour rolled into New Jersey on Friday night. "So we takin' it off on to a whole other street with a whole different cast of characters,

and to me it's funnier and is better written than the first one. So I hope this'll be off the hook too." [28.8 RealAudio]

As we previously reported, Cube has another film on the horizon (see "Ice Cube, Wahlberg Eyed For Clooney Film" ). The rapper will star with George Clooney and Mark Wahlberg as three Gulf War soldiers who search for treasure in "Three Kings." He is set to start shooting that film in November after wrapping up his Family Values run.

Ice Cube, of course, is still carving out ample time to support the November 17 release of his "War: War and Peace Volume 1" album, as well as next summer's release of its companion disc "Peace: War and Peace Volume 2." Cube has already shot the video for the first single from "War" for the track "Pushin' Weight." Both the clip, directed by adult film auteur Gregory Dark, and the single should start hitting the airwaves in the coming weeks.