The Goo Goo Dolls were forced to cancel last night’s show at the Hard Rock in Orlando, as well as three additional dates, after doctors ordered singer-guitarist Johnny Rzeznik to rest for a week after injuring his vocal chords.
Rzeznik has been diagnosed with a severe hematoma of his left vocal chord, and has been told not to sing for at least a week. A hematoma is the localized swelling of a gland or organ that occurs when a blood vessel has broken.
Other dates postponed include Goo Goo Dolls shows slated for April 30 at the Midtown Music Festival in Atlanta, May 2 at the Reilly Center in Olean, New York, and May 3 at the McLean Center in Alfred, New York.
According to representatives for the Goos, Rzeznik will rest for the next few days, but that the band is hoping that doctors will clear the frontman to return to the road for its regularly scheduled concert on May 5 in Louisville, Kentucky.
The group plans to make up the cancelled dates later in its spring tour,
which was slated to run through the end of May.
Meanwhile, the band is still looking to the future. The Goos have lined up an eight-week tour with Sugar Ray that will kick off on July 16 at the Blockbuster Desert Sky Pavilion in Phoenix, Arizona.
Fastball (who will head out with the Goo Goo Dolls on Wednesday, pending Rzeznik’s recovery) has been named as the opening act on the newly announced outing, which will wind down in September.
The groups are asking fans to donate canned and non-perishable goods at their respective tour stops in support of the Louisville-based charity USA Harvest. Goo Goo Dolls fans have already donated over five tons of food thus far.
Here’s where the triple bill will stop:
- 7/16 – Phoenix, AZ @ Desert Sky
- 7/17 – San Diego, CA @ Naval Base
- 7/18 – Las Vegas, NV @ Mandalay Bay
- 7/20 – Los Angeles, CA @ The Greek
- 7/24 – Vancouver, BC @ G.M. Place
- 7/28 – Denver, CO @ Fiddlers Amp.
- 7/30 – Kansas
City, MO @ Sandstone Amphitheater
- 7/31 – St.Louis, MO @ Riverport
- 8/1 – Omaha, NE @ Civic Center
- 8/5 – Cincinnati, OH @ Riverbend
- 8/6 – Indianapolis, IN @ Deer Creek
- 8/9 – Jackson, MI @ State Fair
- 8/10 – Milwaukee, WI @ Marcus Amphitheater
- 8/13 – Sedalia, MO @ State Fair
- 8/14 – Springfield, IL @ State Fair
- 8/15 – Des Moines, IA @ State Fair
- 8/17 – Columbus, OH @ Polaris Amphitheater
- 8/18 – Detroit, MI @ Pine Knob
- 8/20 – Long Island, NY @ Jones Beach
- 8/22 – Holmdel, NJ @ Garden State Amphitheater
- 8/31 – Virginia Beach, VA @ GTE
- 9/1 – Charlotte, NC @ Blockbuster